• Register Today It's free!

Stock ride height

ponkotsu

Reaction score
City, State
Colorado Springs, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Lincoln Aviator
I couldn't find any specs on original stock ride height, so I figured out a clever way. Found an old stock photo of a 2000 Mountaineer, and used Excel to measure the wheel and fender lip. Found the ratio of fender height to wheel (1.18), and multiply by stock wheel diameter (28.9"), and you end up with 34.18". Almost exactly what I was estimating.

height.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

for what it's worth, both my Explorer and my Mountaineer measure exactly the same (even though the explorer has 16" wheels, both have Michelin tires) a tweak over 32.5 inches from ground to center of the wheel well lip on both sides. Explorer has EB trim around the wheel wells. my Mountaineer looks identical to the picture you supplied, as far as the relationship of tire to body height.

It cannot be "official" stock picture, it has Firestone tires on.
...and multiply by stock wheel diameter (28.9")
Is that for a 16" rim?

Firestone were OE on Explorer and Mountaineer in 2000. The 15 and 16" wheels have about the same tire diameter because the 16's are lower profile. Anyway, I ended up with exactly 34" and it looks perfect, and rides much smoother. I'm very pleased with the result.

Ah, yes, only in August they recalled those Firestone's in USA. In other countries was earlier.
http://www.fordexplorerrollover.com/history/Default.cfm

Interesting reading. Never seen it before. I guess most of it boiled down to Ford marketing a truck as a car, and the consumer driving it like a car. Even today, the rollover's occur. There was just one in Colorado 2 days ago, one person killed I think.

Back