Straight Pipe experience | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Straight Pipe experience

DistortedCloud

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
15 Sport
Well, the other day, I removed my stock muffler(didn't do squat) to the tail pipe. So right now, im running a straight pipe from the Cats(until I get my flowmaster kit) and so I run straights for now.

As far as noise, its not much different, due to the fact that the muffler was junk. The only problem is when you rev, it causes a loud drone, which becomes a nuisance. When city driving its not bad, its managable, but causes my ears to pop.

I wouldn't recommend driving like this for an extended period of time. Well, thats my experience with the straight pipe.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

so compared to your stock setup you dont htink runnin it str8 after the cat makes a sound difference? in anyway? because im about to do that too, until i get my 40series shipped..wut kinda flows are you lookin at?..and have you heard anything on the best flow for the 4.0?
thanks
-chris

..o and any tips on taking off the stock junker?

Its a tad louder, due to the fact that my stock muffler was just hanging on. Tips for taking it off, not an expert in this area, but I removed it from the stock pipe, the 2ft pipe after the cats.
I just cut it in two, to make it easier to remove.

I was going to remove directly from the cats, but the bolts were stripping away. If your going to just going to remove the stock muffler to put a new muffler in, then to my understanding, its just unbolting the old on and putting the new one in.

If your putting a new exhaust kit on from the cats, then its piece by piece.

I heard 40 Series Flowmaster is the one of the better ones out there.

When I get around, I'll post pics of what it looks like. Many threads all ready discussed straight pipes and mufflers.

Justin146 has a couple vids on his straight piped explorer. But keep in mind, that ohv vs sohc or dohc will sound alot different.

i ran my flowmaster force flow 2 system untill it rusted out from under my truck (literally) I ran the straight pipe outta cat's for a few weeks untill i got my new dynomax system in, i loved the sound runnin straight cat but thats just me. The dynomax system sounds nice, but is hardly noticible. The flowmaster didnt make any sound at all really.

im runnin a straight pipe with a 40 series flowmaster and love it

buckshotmudder said:
im runnin a straight pipe with a 40 series flowmaster and love it

Maybe I ought to do that as well. Save me money without having to buy the whole kit

do you meen your running it without cats and just the 40? or with a cat and the 40s?..and by good do you meen..loud and droning..orrr throaty and growlish..

im running no muffler and i like it

ExporeRanger said:
do you meen your running it without cats and just the 40? or with a cat and the 40s?..and by good do you meen..loud and droning..orrr throaty and growlish..

Mine is loud and droning upon acceleration. Others may say different.

The cats will still be there, but they wont do a thing. Im going to bust out the honey come, till I can afford a high flow.

ok cant afford flowmaste right now so if i ran a strait pipe to tail pipe whould it make the same poping noice that a mazda at school makes its like he revs it up then alot of popoing not the noramal alot thats the one thing i do not want is that rice sound i want growing v8 get out of my way sound. o yea does it heart the engine to not have a muffler

I got bored a couple months ago and unbolted my exhaust right behind the cat. It was loud as ......, but not a good loud. Also, it really felt like the truck had no bottom end power...guess that could be the backpressure? I don't know how much having a straight pipe would change the sound and the backpressure, but from me doing what I did I wouldn't recommend straight pipes.

yeha backpressure will def drop if you straight pipe it..low end tourque is also lost with the loss of backpressure..i think im going to cut her off behind the cat, leave the cat and everything stock and bolt up a flowmaster 40 series soon..ill let you kno how it sounds and goes..but if anyones done something similar...please post any two sense you might have..ill be chekcing more then daily lol..(im hoping to preserve most bottom end..but giv the ex a more open, and aggressive growl..not necessarily LOUD...but meaner...qality over quantity) ; )

This is how I did my straight pipe. I have a muffler coming in shortly, and I'll add that to the end and throw a turn down in it.

2267356_8_full.jpg

adam..itsnot realllly bad to not hav a muffler, but its ther for a reason..my the first gen. hav 2 lol..sort of a cat,muffler, and lil soda can..all the preserve torque and backpressure,while makingitloud...i kno the ex cansound good..i've heard a lot of things boutthe 40series..im soonto bolt mine on..the 4.0L with the 40 series shuld sound great, with my cat, but im gunna put a turn down on it most likely, and cut all theunneceassry tail piping off (including the lil soda can)..that mazda is prolly popping kuz its a small backfire cause by the lack of the muffler, my ranger does that..peace of crap 2.3L Inline 4cyl. chopped off the muffler kuz it was rusting out and side exited the pipe..but she pops just like your talkin about when down revving..so i say..go ahead and get a 40 series..leave the cat on, make it exhit however you want..i found my 50 for like 50 bux brandnew somewher..try froogle.com with the "f" its a good searchengine for parts. use distorteds pic tohelp you and see wher its got that U clamp..get rid of it,bolt up a new u clamp with the 40 series (prolly need anadapterfromthestock exhaust diameter to ibelive 2.5in flow intake piping)..2 bux at pepboys

goodluck

Im running no cats & a 40 series flowmaster muffler..

I said to hell with Flowmaster and went with a Magnaflow 2 chamber muffler and I get compliments all the time for how throaty it sounds. I did research since I work for Advance Auto and found out that Magnaflow is not only cheap but made of the exact same things as Flowmaster. With an echo tip the exhaust only sounds better. Plus I had new pipe ran from the cats back. All of this cost me only about 150 bucks. Look into MagnaFlow guys. It is well worth it.

i have a 40 series with a hollow cat and i think it sounds good. to hollow cat remove from X have girlfriend hold on end, drill out with wood ogger bit. reinstall

Back