Strange Blower Motor Problem | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Strange Blower Motor Problem

bakerbh

Reaction score
City, State
Bethesda, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
Hello all. I've got an '02 4.0 Limited and about 2 summers ago the fan stopped blowing heat and a/c out of the main vents (center console and 2 front side vents). However, it continues to blow full blast at the windshield and the rear vents, as well as the small side vents directed at the windows. Does this seem like I need an entirely new blower motor? I am just a little puzzled as to why it would continue to work for some vents, but not others (and the more important vents at that...). Some guidance would be much appreciated!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hello all. I've got an '02 4.0 Limited and about 2 summers ago the fan stopped blowing heat and a/c out of the main vents (center console and 2 front side vents). However, it continues to blow full blast at the windshield and the rear vents, as well as the small side vents directed at the windows. Does this seem like I need an entirely new blower motor? I am just a little puzzled as to why it would continue to work for some vents, but not others (and the more important vents at that...). Some guidance would be much appreciated!

If the fan blower is blowing strong air speed at all the speed settings it is working fine. Don't do anything with the blower. If you are only feeling the air flow thru certain vents, then you have a dash vent control issue. Your problem is most likely due to a bad "actuator"(broken armature) that controls a specific vent or a vacuum line may have come loose from the actuator nipple that controls the non working vent or the vacuum line may have come loose from the vacuum multi-port near the firewall. Your problem is fairly common. I don't have any web links to give you for this, but you can locate past posts on this problem you are having by using the search box at the top of the forum. Just type a short question related to your problem into the box and it will pull up any posts related to your subject matter.

Here is a link to replace your blend door actuator if that's your problem. It sounds more like a vacuum leak. Some vehicles have a default setting for the vents to blow defrost only if there is a vacuum leak. If you are in a cold climate the defrost is the most important vent.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=294140

If the fan blower is blowing strong air speed at all the speed settings it is working fine. Don't do anything with the blower. If you are only feeling the air flow thru certain vents, then you have a dash vent control issue. Your problem is most likely due to a bad "actuator"(broken armature) that controls a specific vent or a vacuum line may have come loose from the actuator nipple that controls the non working vent or the vacuum line may have come loose from the vacuum multi-port near the firewall. Your problem is fairly common. I don't have any web links to give you for this, but you can locate past posts on this problem you are having by using the search box at the top of the forum. Just type a short question related to your problem into the box and it will pull up any posts related to your subject matter.
Thank you so much. That would make sense, I remember hearing a strange "hissing" sound coming from the front passenger area before it broke, so it would make sense that it was the vacuum line. I'll see what I can do, I appreciate the help.

Thank you so much. That would make sense, I remember hearing a strange "hissing" sound coming from the front passenger area before it broke, so it would make sense that it was the vacuum line. I'll see what I can do, I appreciate the help.

No problem! A "hissing" sound would lead me to believe it is a loose vacuum line. You can roll your glove box down (by pushing in on side tabs of glove box) and out of the way and take a flashlight to light up the area behind the dash. Near The firewall is the vacuum line multi-port which has 5 different colored vacuum lines coming off of it. Check them there first and if okay, try to follow them down to what device they go to and check at that end. They've been known to pop off the nipple from time to time! :p: :D Good luck!

Back