Weak blower | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Weak blower

Reaction score
City, State
Dewey, Arizona
Year, Model & Trim Level
05 Exporer XLT 4x2 4.0 V6
Ok, so just bought an 05 XLT rear air. otherwise has air vents no controls. so here is ther thing. I turn on the A/C or heat doesn't matter what and have it on the face vents i can turn the fan speed to whatever I want and i can hardly feel anything coming out. It also feels as if it is goming out of every vent. defrost vent, floor vent, face vent. and by god is that blower LoUd! Any help is great.:salute:

There is a louver/damper that diverts air flow to either vents or defrost. Several of us have experienced failure of this damper or its associated pneumatic (vacuum) actuator. You can watch this actuator if you wedge your head down by the accelerator pedal and shine a flashlight about half way up. Or, you can also watch it (or feel it) if you remove the radio bezel and use a mirror.

Ok, so just bought an 05 XLT rear air. otherwise has air vents no controls. so here is ther thing. I turn on the A/C or heat doesn't matter what and have it on the face vents i can turn the fan speed to whatever I want and i can hardly feel anything coming out. It also feels as if it is goming out of every vent. defrost vent, floor vent, face vent. and by god is that blower LoUd! Any help is great.:salute:

If the blower fan speed works on all the speed settings, your problem is a "air recirculation door" located behind the glove box, just above the blower motor/fan housing, has fallen off of it's hinge points and is laying flat on it's side just above the blower fan. This door panel is blocking your blower fan air flow to the dash vents. Very common problem. You can attempt a self repair yourself or just remove the door completely. If you remove the door completely as I did, you won't notice much of a difference in AC coldness depending on how warm or cold it is where you live. Removing the door completely you lose MAX AC coldness, but not AC totally. I live in a colder climate most of the year. You may also need to block up the "under the windshield cowl" air recir door entrance hole to keep cold or warm outside air from entering the cabin during different times of the year. When I removed the cowl on my 2005 Explorer XLT same as yours, there was no open entrance hole (passenger side) for outside air to come into the cabin thru. I could see an outline for a panel cut out in the underlying cowl plastic, but the panel was never punched out it appears and I feel no outside air coming into the cabin under the glove area as others have described after removing this air recirc door.
Check the web link below and "Eyeinthesky's" repair post. The 12 and 13th pictures in his post show where the air recir door can be found laying on it's side and what it looks like. The 12th pic with his hand in the photo opening the air box is where you remove the air recirc door. Removing the 4 front screws on this air box, 2 each side, then splitting open the air box, is all you need to do to completely remove the air recirc door. To do a total repair of the air recirc door, you will have to follow all of the repair instructions in his post. You also might have a problem with a "dash vent actuator" as to why you feel air thru all of the vents at the same time. Common problem also and can be found using the search box at the top of the forum.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=316624

Back