• Register Today It's free!

Strange cel code sequence

87xjmike

Reaction score
City, State
Colfax, ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 exploder
So I'm a bit confused on the pulses i got from my CEL when I went to pull codes last night. Below is the sequnces.

1 1 1
1 1 1

6 second pause

1 2 1 4

End cel flash
Not sure if that's two (2) digit codes or two threes with a one to tell me it's starting the code sequence...?
Right now I know I have an egr control solenoid leak that im hopefully fixing today and an erratic temp sending unit that bounces around when driving. Trying to get this stuff cleared so I can pass smog.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

a 93 should issue a 3 digit code. 111 pause 111 means the system is ok and ready to test. 1 pause may be test complete code to follow or separation between koeo test and kam memory codes. 214- cylinder identification circuit failure, looks to be reading in memory. I may be wrong but this is my understanding of how to read codes. someone with more knowledge than me should be along shortly.

a 93 should issue a 3 digit code. 111 pause 111 means the system is ok and ready to test. 1 pause may be test complete code to follow or separation between koeo test and kam memory codes. 214- cylinder identification circuit failure, looks to be reading in memory. I may be wrong but this is my understanding of how to read codes. someone with more knowledge than me should be along shortly.

OK yeah that's what I thought it might be as well. I did just do my plugs and wires just before I pulled those codes (replaced about a week ago). My CEL however has been on for a month. My plugs were old and gapped to 072 so perhaps that had something to do with it.

However according to my research I can clear the CL by removing the wire from the two diagnostic ports while key is in on position, yet it did not as the cel still lights up after about 30 seconds of idleing.

Does your 93 have a wired cam sensor? Some do.

Looking at the engine, it will be mounted to the block, at the rear slightly toward the passenger side.

https://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=346550

Mine was built in dec of 92 so i thought it was too old...Dangit I hope not. It runs great at 150k, don't think it'd be that as they typically cause a pour running condition right? I'll look for it tonight

I'm told that disconnecting the battery for about 10 min will clear the computer

I'm told that disconnecting the battery for about 10 min will clear the computer

OK I only did it for 60 seconds. I thought it was 30 seconds but I'm likely wrong.

Just stepped out side from work to check for cam sensor and there is no wiring going to the back of the motor aside from my o2 sensor wires. I know because I just replaced those with new Bosch units. 99.9% sure I don't have a cam sensor back there but I couldn't lay on my motor with my work clothes on to physically see.

Just stepped out side from work to check for cam sensor and there is no wiring going to the back of the motor aside from my o2 sensor wires. I know because I just replaced those with new Bosch units. 99.9% sure I don't have a cam sensor back there but I couldn't lay on my motor with my work clothes on to physically see.

I have no AC so it's easier for me, but if you reach from the passenger side you should be able to verify easily if there is a wiring harness beyond the O2 sensor.

I have no AC so it's easier for me, but if you reach from the passenger side you should be able to verify easily if there is a wiring harness beyond the O2 sensor.

Just confirmed that I have one . :mad: guess that's my next thing to replace with this code? I had the bat disco'd for 40 minutes tonight and CEL still comes on.

Gotta pass smog ASAP and this cel is killing me. Pretty sure I'm gonna have to lift motor out a few inches looking at it. Gives me an excuse to throw in the autofab motor and trans mounts I picked up. At that point it'll likely snowball into a total tear down to install the coilovers and extended beams I have....as they all do.

My truck is a manual so maybe it's a 5spd thing...because my 92 auto expo doesn't have one.

Another thing to verify you do indeed have batch fire injection is to look at the fuel injector wire coloring. does each bank of wires share the same color combination, or are all the injectors wired with individual color wires?

The cam sensor will be the identifier signal if you have batch fire fuel injection. First I would check the wiring and function of the sensor, before digging in to a replacement. I believe the Crank sensor and the cam sensor share a circuit, could be a chaffed wire is shorting the signal to ground, ( as an example)

For the 1993 there were 3 possible ECM configurations for each transmission, very confusing. :)

I had to replace the Camshaft Position Sensor on my '94 and let me tell you, it's not cheap! It is also almost impossible to install one of the early vane type CPS's without removing either the engine or the intake because the intake almost covers the top of the sensor and you cant see the vane in the window.

I installed a sensor from a '96 model by replacing the connector with one from a junkyard and a sensor from the same vehicle. I used the voltmeter instructions to set the sensor and everything has been fine since. If your interested I gave details in another post of mine.

I had to replace the Camshaft Position Sensor on my '94 and let me tell you, it's not cheap! It is also almost impossible to install one of the early vane type CPS's without removing either the engine or the intake because the intake almost covers the top of the sensor and you cant see the vane in the window.

I installed a sensor from a '96 model by replacing the connector with one from a junkyard and a sensor from the same vehicle. I used the voltmeter instructions to set the sensor and everything has been fine since. If your interested I gave details in another post of mine.

Yeah derails would be great!

Back