Strange Occurrence: ABS Light, 4x4 High, Check Advance Trac Dash lights came on! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Strange Occurrence: ABS Light, 4x4 High, Check Advance Trac Dash lights came on!

Exproblems

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Orchard Park, N.Y.
Year, Model & Trim Level
'05 Explorer XLT 4.0L
I am just looking for some ideas as to what may have caused this strange occurrence today, as I was driving to a doctors visit while driving on the Thruway, roughly 65 to 70 MPH. While on the Thruway going 65 -70 MPH, I hit a small bump in the road and the ABS dash light came on almost immediately, then followed by a blinking 4x4 High light (flashes 8 times periodically) and then a Check Advance Trac message came on the message screen. The Advance Trac button on the center console turned itself "off" as well. The dash lights stayed on for the full ride to the doctors office and I removed the Check Advance Trac message off of the message screen by tapping the "reset" button.
When I started the vehicle back up as I left the doctors office 30 minutes later, the ABS light was on at first, but disappeared some 30 seconds after I put the vehicle in drive. I then drove 2 miles away to my MRI appointment, no dash lights or warning messages at all, everything working normal including the Advance Trac console button. Once I left the MRI appointment, I drove back home (15 miles or so) down the same Thruway at the same speeds as before, hitting all sorts of bumps in the road and no problems at all. No more dash lights, nothing. I'm confused!
I've done some forum research on what may have caused this and all I can come up with is either a bad "wheel bearing hub assembly" or possibly a "4x4 control module". I was also thinking of a loose ABS plug because the lights came on right after I hit that bump in the road at high speeds. Never had an issue like this before in the nearly 4 years I've owned the vehicle and there is 102K on the odometer.
If anyone has any suggestions as to what you think may have caused this one and first time issue, please let me know. Thanks in advance!

Back