Stripped one of my upper intake manifold screws | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Stripped one of my upper intake manifold screws

ke6luk

Reaction score
City, State
Savannah GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Explorer Sport
Hey All,

Well I was in the process of putting back together the intake manifold system on my 1998 Ex Sport with the 4.0 SOHV when the torque wrench adjuster slipped leading me to strip out one of my upper intake bolts/screws.

Does anybody have any good ideas on how to fix this?

Thank you in advance for any help.

73's,

Doc

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey All,

Well I was in the process of putting back together the intake manifold system on my 1998 Ex Sport with the 4.0 SOHV when the torque wrench adjuster slipped leading me to strip out one of my upper intake bolts/screws.

Does anybody have any good ideas on how to fix this?

Thank you in advance for any help.

73's,

Doc
Helicoil. Or, drill and tap for a larger bolt.

Wrap the screw with pipe thread tape and see if you can get some bite. If it was one on the end, use a zip-tie instead.

They just need to be snug, not really torqued down.

I think I have two that actually torque to spec, the rest are "as good as they'll get" with tape, and a couple zip ties.

The idiot who decided torx-headed wood screws that thread into plastic were a good idea for an intake manifold should be shot. Was probably the same bozo who decided to put a timing chain on the back of the motor.

The drill and tap thing would be great if these were real bolts but like BubbaFL said they're nothing but big wood screws!
Thanks for the pipe tape suggestion it should work.
73's
Doc

Just a thought

I think the bolts/screws in my intake manifold have what I call high/low threads that are somewhat common for fasterners that work in plastic. I wonder if adding epoxy into the stripped hole and then inserting the screw with thin oil on the threads would reform the threads in the plastic. The oil could keep the epoxy from adhering to the screw threads. It would probably be necessary to remove what the screw is attaching so the screw could be inserted all the way to the bottom of the hole. You could try the idea first on a scrap piece of plastic.

Plumbers/teflon tape worked well enough to snug the screw up good. I put two applications of it on the giant wood screw. It runs better but now I believe the IAC has finally died and gone to where ever sensors go.

I wonder if adding epoxy into the stripped hole and then inserting the screw with thin oil on the threads would reform the threads in the plastic. The oil could keep the epoxy from adhering to the screw threads. It would probably be necessary to remove what the screw is attaching so the screw could be inserted all the way to the bottom of the hole.

If you're going to the trouble of pulling the lower intake to fix this, I'd JB-Weld flange nuts to the underside of the lower intake, and then replace the wood screws with long bolts and big washers.

Back