Stripping chrome off bumpers. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Stripping chrome off bumpers.

ive seen a few explorer's with the front ends blacked out and i really like the look. so ive decided to go ahead and do it. my question is how do you strip the chrome off of the grill and bumpers??? and if anyone who has done this to thier front has any suggestions or tips id really appreciate it. thanks.

Would like to know as well, other than buying one without it, grill that is. Cannot find a front bumper for a 00 X, what do these run?

I may be wrong but I believe we used something called "sno bol" (15 years ago so it's a little hard to remember). It's a toilet cleaner if I remember correctly but it worked to make the surface rough enough to hold paint. It had acid in it thats all I really remember. Car Quest has something also......can't remember the name though. You use it after sanding down to the metal and it etches so the primer will hold.

On one of my old 4-wheelers I just sandblasted the hand holds on the back and it is still holding paint 10 years later......but sandblasting an entire bumper is going to take a loooong time. You may be able to find someone who sandblasts should only run maybe 50 to 100 bucks to get it done.

Hope this helps :confused:

Aldive i believe has blacked out his grill. Run a search for it.

Back