Strut Assembly | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Strut Assembly

Reaction score
City, State
`Caneyville kentucky
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 XLS
I purchased Monroe Oespectrum Reflex struts for my 2002 Explorer. I'm going to reuse the springs and just replace the struts. While I haven't removed the old ones yet, I was going over the assembly instructions included with the struts and they don't seem to be all that clear to me. It says to remove cushion and sleeve and discard, Assemble new components as shown. Will all the parts included be used and will reassembly be self explanatory once the old strut is off? Here is a picture of the components included
thumbnail_IMG_0653.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_0654.jpg
and the instructions.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think it’s referring to the bellow and (what I call it) the bump cushion. Strut bellows and cushions are sold online, e.g., Rockauto <$10 each set. But it looks like you already have them in your kit.

I’m sure you know this; don’t losen the center nut until the coil spring is contained by a coil spring compression tool.

That’s what I was thinking just wish it would at least show how the cushion goes on. Thanks for the heads up on the coil spring compressor. That could hurt!!

I’d highly recommend getting the complete struts. The ‘02’s in particular are known for their coil springs breaking.

I have looked everywhere but still can't find anything that shows how these things go together. The struts on the vehicle are different as far as having the same parts. Does the bump cushion go on first or does the bellow go on first then the bellow? Worst instructions I've ever seen.

I'm thinking the bumper gets pushed all the way down with flat side up then the bellow then rubber cushion then stud plate then another cushion then flat washer and finally the nut, Any ideas anybody?

I’m curious why you’ve chose this route instead of replacing the entire assembly?

Do you have custom springs on the current strut assemblies?

I'd go with KYB or Rancho all the way around. Monroe (and Gabriel) are junk. But Gabriel complete assemblies do have a LLT warranty. I believe they are the cheapest full assembly that has a LLT.

I'm old school!! Why waste good springs? I already have the tools to change the springs so why not save money at the same time.

I'm old school!! Why waste good springs? I already have the tools to change the springs so why not save money at the same time.
Sounds like a plan! Just be sure to check your original springs for breaks or cracks before you get in too deep, the 3rd Generation Explorers are known for this.

Good luck!

Keep in mind, the front struts have counter springs in them, meaning they do not extend all the way on their own. Because of this you have to really really compress down the front springs very far to get them on.

I'd soooo love to replace the springs with rubber air bladders. My Exp rides like a unloaded 3/4 to1 ton truck or a unloaded box truck with leaf springs in the front.

I'd go with KYB or Rancho all the way around. Monroe (and Gabriel) are junk. But Gabriel complete assemblies do have a LLT warranty. I believe they are the cheapest full assembly that has a LLT.
I believe the Monroe OE spectrum Reflex struts I purchased come with a LLT warranty also.

Back