Strut questions | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Strut questions

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I agree they could and will charge for un needed items.

Slightly different vehicle but, I put KYB Excel G gas strut assemblies on all four corners on my 09 EXP.

Installed myself and had the dealership do the alignment.

After much research online and thru mfr. websites, it seemed that the Monroe's would give a softer than stock ride and the KYB's a firmer than stock.

Based on my experience with Monroe's on a different vehicle I would agree. After 70k, still very pleased with the KYB's. Got 'em at Rock Auto while they were having a rebate program.

Probably a little more expensive for the full strut assembly vs individual components. But, all I had to do was remove and reinstall the new without having to fuss with a spring compressor.

If you have a jack and jack-stands, it's a simple afternoon job. Many videos online to walk you through the process.

If I remember correctly, the only tool I needed to rent from Autozone was a huge torque wrench and socket to remove the front CV/axle nut.

Slightly different vehicle but, I put KYB Excel G gas strut assemblies on all four corners on my 09 EXP.

Installed myself and had the dealership do the alignment.

After much research online and thru mfr. websites, it seemed that the Monroe's would give a softer than stock ride and the KYB's a firmer than stock.

Based on my experience with Monroe's on a different vehicle I would agree. After 70k, still very pleased with the KYB's. Got 'em at Rock Auto while they were having a rebate program.

Probably a little more expensive for the full strut assembly vs individual components. But, all I had to do was remove and reinstall the new without having to fuss with a spring compressor.

If you have a jack and jack-stands, it's a simple afternoon job. Many videos online to walk you through the process.

If I remember correctly, the only tool I needed to rent from Autozone was a huge torque wrench and socket to remove the front CV/axle nut.
I am still thinking and I maybe overthinking... my thing with the quick strut is it’s brand new everything. If I have to replace the quick strut in the future or hate them then I am stuck buying everything brand new.

If I go with KYB for example I have to hope they fit in my old parts because I am having a really hard time finding all the components I need. Or I just don’t know what I am looking for.
I have a friend that can install them but I don’t want to waist his time or be without a Truck for longer than a day because I don’t have the correct part and have to Special order parts.

Ultimately if I go to Ford it’s going to cost me top dollar. They charge $187 for Motorcraft Struts They’re going to charge me nuts and bolts labor and an alignment and whatever else they find. I can go to rock auto and get struts for $81 that are Motorcraft However everything else that I seen that I need is either out of stock or I can’t find it. Plus Ford is going to reuse my strut mount and coil springs My luck they’re going to tell me it needs to be replaced.

Like said above its a much easier job than it looks like. It looks like a pretty horrific job but it isnt. I put struts on a small Toyota car out in my front yard did even take it in front of my shop, then just told them go get a alignment. Only took roughly a hour a side. Now i know on a truck its harder just because of the size of things but you can do it. You just unbolt, put new stuff in and re bolt done.

Back