stuck in 4 wheel drive (97 Explorer) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

stuck in 4 wheel drive (97 Explorer)

joeycanola

Reaction score
City, State
Lewiston, ME
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 Explorer XLT
I have a 97 Explorer with SOHC engine that is stuck in 4 wheel drive. I have pulled all the fuses pertaining to the 4 wheel drive system, but it will not disengage. Tested this by taping a 1 foot length of ribbon to the front drive shaft and drove foward 5 feet...the ribbon wrapped around the front drive shaft just like I suspected. The 4x4 system is the auto/4high/4low knob version on the dashboard. Does somebody know how to disengage the transfer case if it will not do so automatically?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Of course it wrapped around the driveshaft, there are no hubs to disengage. The front axles ares always connected to the wheel, and therefor always turning while the vehicle moves. The only disconnect is the transfer case.
Search "brown wire mod" to disengage the "auto 4x4" part.

The front driveshaft on your vehicle will ALWAYS rotate because it is the front wheels that are turning them (not the engine/transmission) -- which is of course due to the fact that there is not disconnect (such as the typical hub lockout) at the front wheels.

The other day when I was working on the explorer thinking it was stuck in 4 wheel drive, I tested on my dad's T100 that was manual shift to engage 4 wheel drive. His front drive shaft was not turning. Must be a different set up. So I guess that that being stuck in 4 wheel drive is not my big issue. I thought that was why when I pull into parking spaces is sounds like my front wheels want to lock up on me. Back to the drawing board.

Do you have any other symptoms to suggest that it is stuck in 4x4. If not, the above responses answer your question.

Just a couple things that I am trying to resolve before I sell it. The near-dragging of the front tires is intermittent and happens only when turning at severe angles...going straight is OK. Also, when taking off from a dead stop I am sensing some kind of slippage (or gripping) in the drivetrain. Not sure if the two are connected to eachother. I just thought that somehow the 4x4 kept trying to engage for a a split second at a time causing this slipping when taking off. And thought the 4x4 was trying to angage when turning into parking spaces. She has about 180K miles on her now...her days are numberred.

Disconnect the transfer case's connectors -- then make the same tight turns as before that was causing the near-dragging symptom. If there is no more dragging, then the vehicle is going into 4wd when it should not be. Search the forum as this topic comes up every so often -- usually dealing with sensors or possible mismatched tire sizes.

Tsb 97-21-15

I had a similar problem with my 1997 Explorer and through this forum found mention of TSB 97-21-15. The TSB will tell the dealer how to recalibrate the Generic Electronic Module so that the transfer case can slip a little more. I had this applied (about $35) and also changed the transfer case oil to be sure (about $75). This completely cured the problem that had bothered me for six years. It is like having a new vehicle. I can not be certain this will fix it, but it may be worth a try. You may not even want to sell it once you get it fixed.

I have this same problem with my 97. It will stick in 4X4 on dry pavement. I also have ABS problems as well. It will turn on on dry pavement as wel. I think I have mine tracked down to a bad wheel bearing throwing off one speed sensor and messing with both. Not sure on this one though. I did the easy "Brown Wire Mod" by cutting the wire under the driver seat and puting a toggle switch in line and pulling the fuse on the ABS. This has temporarily give me a safe fix.

Like Izwack said, unclip the TC connectors from underneath. This will leave you in rear wheel drive only. Then drive and watch for the symptoms you mentioned. This is the quickest and easiest way to know if either the TC is stuck in 4x4 or is intermittently engaging 4x4 when it shouldn't (bad sensors or GEM).

I unplugged the transfer case and the problem was fixed, no more issues with my front tires trying to lock up whe turning tight corners. So I reconnected the plug and cut the brown wire under the driver's seat and the problem was still fixed. I was going to do the TSB to attempt to fix the problem...but instead I plan on routing the brown wire to my dashboard button for my fog lights. This way when the button is depressed and the green indicator light on the button is on...I will be in computer controlled 4x4 mode. I will still have the shudder in the front tires come this winter when I am driving in a snowy parking lot or around tight corners with 4x4 mode turned on. The dealer wanted to charge $80 to do the TSB, and who knows if that would have been 100% effective. Thanks for the help forum.

I have a 2007 ford sport trac V6 push button 4 wheel drive. It appears the 4 wheel drive is on and skid control is on (lights on Dash) the little light in the push button switch blinks only. truck feels like 4 wheel high is engaged. unable to get it to unlock. What do I do now?

Back