Stuck in 4 wheel low and truck thinks its in 2 wheel drive | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Stuck in 4 wheel low and truck thinks its in 2 wheel drive

stihlgirl

Reaction score
City, State
CT
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Explorer
Put a used '97 transfer case in my '95 Explorer. Took it off the ramps and the truck feels like 4 low. Dad looked under while I moved it and the front drive shaft is turning. So def stuck in 4 wheel. Truck thinks it is in 2 wheel drive. Unplugged the electrical and still stuck. Saw on another thread to turn the shift motor manually. How do I do that? And any ideas how to get it into 2 wheel? Which way do we turn it?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If it’s truly in 4 low it’s turned all the way to one direction. Turn it the other way. The 97s had a different function of 4wd. ( they had no 2wd setting if I recall correctly.)

97s had Auto 4WD, first year of it, 95-96s had dedicated 2WD, a superior system IMO.

The 97s switch had the positions Auto-4x4high-4x4low.
The 95/96s switch had the positions 2WD-Auto-4x4low.
So the electrical control is different.

97 is different, but I believe the shift motor and transfercase SHOULD (but not certain) work. 2wd/4auto/4hi are all on the same position. Your 95 and my 96 are able to disconnect the front axle to create 2wd, but 97+ does not have that (has nothing to do with the transfer case). Low requires a reduction gear to be moved in.

4low requires the shift motor to move. Take off the shift motor, and you will see markings (mine has that). Then turn the stub to the correct position (I believe all the way to the left).

Couldn't you in theory just swap shift motors? Or am I off base on this?

Couldn't you in theory just swap shift motors? Or am I off base on this?
The connector was designed by inbreds. I think you have to repin it to remove the motor.

The 97s switch had the positions Auto-4x4high-4x4low.
The 95/96s switch had the positions 2WD-Auto-4x4low.
So the electrical control is different.
The connector was designed by inbreds. I think you have to repin it to remove the motor.

As stated above probably a bad shift motor, mine get's lazy sometimes and takes a while to engage or disengage...

It looks to me the switch maybe labeled differently on the outside, both the 96 and 97 use the same 4wd switch, and have the same transfer case shift motor, and same transfer case...(check out rockauto)...and your right ( 96eb96) I've never replaced the shift motor, but the connections looks like a pita...

As stated above probably a bad shift motor, mine get's lazy sometimes and takes a while to engage or disengage...

It looks to me the switch maybe labeled differently on the outside, both the 96 and 97 use the same 4wd switch, and have the same transfer case shift motor, and same transfer case...(check out rockauto)...and your right ( 96eb96) I've never replaced the shift motor, but the connections looks like a pita...

One problem is someone may buy a truck from someone, who didn't use 2Lo since 2000, and then they see lots of problems. it is probably a good idea to exercise it a few times a year.

One problem is someone may buy a truck from someone, who didn't use 2Lo since 2000, and then they see lots of problems. it is probably a good idea to exercise it a few times a year.

True, I try and put mine on every now and again all year round...

Back