stuttering / almost stalling at idle | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

stuttering / almost stalling at idle

mcG

Reaction score
City, State
Pennsauken, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Sport
engine has been almost stalling on me when i come to a stop, especially when the lights and heat are both on, stereo is off. rpms will drop momentarily to under 500 for a second then kick back up. can this be my alternator?

its a 97 4.0sohc, 98k miles

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Clean or replace your idle air control valve.

how exactly do i find that / clean it?

Use the search button and type "how to clean IAC"

Will this cause the check engine light to come on? My problem is intermittent and is mostly when I back up and then shift from reverse to drive?
Clean or replace your idle air control valve.

Second the IAC valve. Doesn't typically throw a code, and is easy to get to. I'd try cleaning it first. An alternator won't cause the car to try and stall, typically.

Use a multimeter to measure your (charging system) battery voltage with the engine idling. It should be around 14.4V. Measure your battery voltage with everything off, should be around 12.6V [or least over 12.0V].

As far as the check engine light, use an OBDII code scanner and pull the codes. Autozone and some others will do that for free if you don't have a scan tool, though those only provide a code #, not live streaming data.

Ironically right now amazon has a great $15 price on a BAFX bluetooth connected scan tool but it will probably sell out within the next few hours:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005NLQAHS

Back