• Register Today It's free!

subs in tailgate ???

eguiyab

Reaction score
City, State
Toronto, Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Limited
i was thinking about putting new subs in, 2 msot likely and i was looking for a place to mount them, i was thinking in the tailgate.

does anyone know if it is possible or if they have done it ??

really haven't taken any measurements of the tailgate or even stripped off the panel so i really dont know whats under there.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

theres already been a post about this about a month ago, I beleive they just decided it was a bad idea. :p not sure tho I tihnk the post was called "subs in hatch" or somehting along those lines

6X9 in hatch

I just finished installed two 6X9 speakers in the rear hatch. Worked well but I had to cut the inside rear hatch frame a little. They weigh down the door a little more but the hatch struts still hold it up fine. Works great. I would be more concerned with the vibration of subs...you might need dynamat or deadener to keep the vibration in line. Also, the weight might be a problem without new hatch struts.

There was a post about this a few weeks back. Here's the problem with subs in the rear hatch:

1. Finding subs that will fit and play in such a small space.
2. The hatch is not an air tight enclosure so you would need to use subs that can be used in free-air. These woofers usually aren't the greatest of quality and can't handle nearly as much power as a woofer in a sealed enclosure.
3. No sub larger than an 8" will even begin to fit and 8" subs don't play that low or that loud.
4. The hatch can't handle the added weight of the subs so it would probably break and fall on your head.

Basically it's possible but it's gonna be a hard install and the results may not be what you were wanting. If you are worried about losing space with a sub box get a "stealh box" type enclosure that fits in the rear passenger side panel. You can put 1 8" or even better 1 10" sub back there. MTX, Q-logic, JL Audio, and a few other companines make these enclosures.

The old thread was called Subs in the Rear Hatch.

Where could I put one 10" free air? Would that sound alright in the rear passenger side panel? What about face up under the back seat?

Open for suggestions...

thanks everyone

thanks everyone for the advice. now that i look at the hatch more closely and what has been said around the board, conclusion. bad idea. plus if it was a really good idea, i think it would have been done by quite a few people already.
i have decided to keep the premium sub location, just upgrade. i was even thinking of maybe recessing the box back a bit, leave a few inches from the grile and the acutal sub and replacing the grill with some plexiglass. just a thought. but i hope i can do it.
ron94sport, how do the 6x9 sound back there ?? i was just thinking the same thing, but if i put a sub in the rear panel i fear the 6x9 will get drown out.
however i do notice that with the sub in the rear panel, the rear passengers tend not to hear the great highs. any remedies ?

If you have taken a look at the stock sub you'll realize its not that great looking of an enclosure. Also there isn't much room to move the enclosure back, only and inch or so. The plexi probably wouldn't be that good of an idea either. Although if you decide to take the stock system out, that area is a good place for a medium sized amp. You could build a rack out of MDF, carpet it, put a piece of plexi in the front, and some neon and volia you've got a really trick install. As for the passengers not hearing great highs. The main reason for this is that the rear speakers are pointed right at their thighs and are only about an inch or two away from it. There's not a whole lot you can do besides adding some tweeters along the rear somewhere but that in turn would destroy your front sound stage and imaging.

Steve

If it's space you're looking to conserve here, I would just go with a JL Audio 10" W3 sub in the rear pannel. You'll get deep, tight, bass and it will sound great! I've heard many of these.

I think the only JL sub that fits in the stealthbox is the W0, the W3 is too deep.

Steve

I am very happy with the 6X9 in the tailgate. Much better location for projecting sound forward and listening with the tailgate open. I also put 6X9 in the doors with very little modification (drilled two new mounting holes).

why not

why not build out rear hatch and put in a solo bareck or a Cerwin Vega Stroker :) Well in theory it could work............

Sethro -

I'd keep it in the rear panel. I've heard the stealthboxes that play under car seats, like in Chevys, and was thoroughly unimpressed. It just muffles the sound too much for my taste.

Jon

sub

mr steve is rigth a J.L. audio w3 does the trick I did and powered it with a punch 100 the old model one and it sounds lotsa betta than the piece 'O crap it came with...or if you have the space 1 cerwin vega stroker in a ported box would be very cool......but they need 3 cubic feet of space..... but they are the ultimate..... plus you need at least a punch 800 or a Boltar Zeuz amp to power it

Back