Subwoofer Amp Hi input pickup point | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Subwoofer Amp Hi input pickup point

Michael Blackburn

Reaction score
City, State
Virginia Beach, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 Explorer Limited 4WD
2018 Limited with the Sony system.
The sub is very weak so I want to upgrade.
Pioneer TS-SW2002D2 is installed but but still not enough.
So I want to add an external amp to drive the subwoofer.
What would be the best location to pick up the Hi level signal to drive the amp? The Sub outputs on the Sony amp or the rear door speaker output? I am wondering if the sub output is frequency limited to protect the Sony amp / subwoofer and would not sound "full" with the new amp. Maybe the door speaker output is Hi-pass filtered also?

Thanks
Fritz

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Are there subwoofer filters/tuning using the factory head unit? That would be the only real benefit to using the sub channel.

If you’re using a quality amp(and quality line out converter) it’d probably have a much better subwoofer crossover.

I used the speaker leads that go to the subwoofer.

What would be the best location to pick up the Hi level signal to drive the amp? The Sub outputs on the Sony amp or the rear door speaker output? I am wondering if the sub output is frequency limited to protect the Sony amp / subwoofer and would not sound "full" with the new amp. Maybe the door speaker output is Hi-pass filtered also?

Thanks
Fritz
Howz it bruh? I have same sony system. This is what I had to do. Installed PAC Audio Pro interface, Audio control DM-608 DSP, my subs amp and my mids & high amp. Used factory speaker wires but had to install 75watt resistors on the factory speakers wires that were left coming out of the factory amp. Same head unit and the system works great.

^^ Welcome to the Forum. :wave:

Peter

I kept it a little simpler.

AudioControl Ls7i LOC for the subwoofer and door speakers tied into the factory amp.
Memphis PRX700.5 five ch power amp.
Axxera BEQ25BT Smart EQ for front door speakers.
Rockford Fosgate Power T1675 6.75 components up front, Power T1650 6.5 coax back doors.
JBL KFC-835C 3.5 coax for center and rears (driven by factory amp).
Lots of Dynamat Extreme.

Still dialing it all in since there are a bunch of gains and boosts that interact with each other.

Fritz

What would be the be

st location to pick up the Hi level signal to drive the amp? The Sub outputs on the Sony amp or the rear door speaker output? I am wondering if the sub output is frequency limited to protect the Sony amp / subwoofer and would not sound "full" with the new amp. Maybe the door speaker output is Hi-pass filtered also?

Thanks
Fritz
check out PLUGNPLAYKITS

Back