• Register Today It's free!

subwoofer enclosure suggestions

elcapitanmas

Reaction score
City, State
Coventry Ct
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 xlt
So The back of the x is pretty much finished. Third row seating removed, second row middle jump seat removed last night. For now I put my dual 12" sub box in between the two back seats. Its def too big (still want it to look nice) I stopped by a couple audio shops yesterday to look at single 12" enclosures but nothing really caught my eye. I asked about fully enclosed bandpass boxes but the guy said they don't really make them anymore. I want the box to "double" as a console in between the back seats. Would prefer if there were no speakers showing.

ANy suggestions?
Will add pictures later.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

wish I had the skills and know how, I can install systems ALL day long, but building, not my strong suit. From what I've seen with DIY boxes, if theyre not done correctly they sound like ****

So... do research and then build it yourself. I spent about a month researching proper ways to build a regular ported box, planned it out, and while it's ugly as hell, it's loud as hell and I can do mini hair tricks.

Yeah I looked through some stuff today. It looks like I may be able to build one after all, It will be the only way I can get the "console" look I'm after. I'm certainly not going to be entering any sound competitions. I hate to have to go from 2 12s to one, but with the size constraints, it looks like I have no choice. I WISH I NEVER SOLD MY LANZAR ENCLOSED SUB BOX!

before
finishedfloor.jpg

After
explorer004.jpg

explorer001-1.jpg

Nice install! If u made a down firing box ppl will be able to rest there arms on the box.

Well I think that's kinda what he's wanting to do. Build it so the speakers aren't visible, and people can use the box as a console/armrest.

Take your time, rushing through it will cause mistakes. I'm sure you can keep both subs if you plan it out and design it right.

Well I think that's kinda what he's wanting to do. Build it so the speakers aren't visible, and people can use the box as a console/armrest.

Take your time, rushing through it will cause mistakes. I'm sure you can keep both subs if you plan it out and design it right.

I know I'm just tellin him to make a down firing box to keep both subs.

What are the enlosure requirements for thos speakers?
If you could make it work out right, you could do one front firing and one back firing.
Although, that would require you to have a fairly tall box (Minimum 13"w x 13"h ?)
I would really need to know the specs of your speakers give any realy help on designs.

One nifty little trick might be to design an simple ported box that is almost T shaped. Have both of the speakers rear firing, just behind the seats, and then bring it together in the middle with the port coming out of front of the "armrest" If you made the design right, you could even have the center console usable as a pocket to put stuff inside.

And, building your own box is fairly easy. If you can cut a straight line, then you can build a box.

I so wish I has seating like yours. It would make creativity ALOT more fun.

Back