Suggestions for Chrome Exhaust Tip | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Suggestions for Chrome Exhaust Tip

Chris K.

Reaction score
City, State
Gotham City, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 Mountaineer
I have a stock 2008 Mercury Mountaineer V-6. I'm looking for a clamp-on chrome exhaust tip for purely cosmestic reasons. I don't want to change the sound or have it protrude much farher than the stock pipe. I'm thinking an angled, rolled-edge tip, so the existing tailpipe doesn't show.

What I don't know is the the inside diameter, outside diameter and length I should get. I measured 2.5" on the existing pipe. But whenever I search for those sizes, they say they don't fit an 08 Mountaineer or Explorer. I think 12" in length should just about reach to the curve of the existing tailpipe near the axle. I don't want to cut any of the existing tailpipe off, just cover it and pretty things up a a bit.

Any suggestions?

Chris

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

For anyone who cares, I went ahead and ordered a factory Ford chrome clamp-on exhaust tip, part number 2L3Z5K238AA. It fits the F150, Ranger, Explorer, a Mountaineer, V6 and V8. Installation was effortless, fit perfectly, and looks good. Evidentially it is stock on the Eddie Bauer, Limited, and Mountaineer Premier.

Chris

Photos??????????????????????????????

Well it's a little late but I'd suggest having a muffler shop weld on a tip. I think it was $20 or so, and looks way better than any clamped on tip. Can't stand the look of clamps

I got the same tip as Chris and didn't like the look of the clamp and I wanted something that went further down so you couldn't see the ugly tailpipe so for $50 I went to the local muffler shop and got a stainless tip that they welded on.

I like my Gibson tip, I got the whole exhaust, but Summit sells them separately. 3" baloney cut.

Back