Suggestions Needed to Improve 2006 V8 3V Performance!!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Suggestions Needed to Improve 2006 V8 3V Performance!!!

rpr

Reaction score
City, State
Smith Mountain Lake, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Limited
Guys, I am not happy with the performance of this vehicle. Dealer says the hesitation is normal due to the Ford programming for the drive-by-wire. It's driving me nuts. Fuel economy is dismal (12.4 mpg consistent average with mix of country road driving, not stop and go city driving).

Please, does anybody have any suggestions? Super chip? Updated programing from Ford? Hacked programing available anywhere? I'm desparate. Starting to regret my purchase.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

SCT just came out with programing for 06 3 valves, how many miles you have on that puppy

I occasionally have the hesitation, but not all the time on mine with almost 19k miles

2900 miles.

SCT???

I had the same complaints. I Upgraded the Mufler to a magnaflow and removed the resonator, added a KKM intake, and most important change was reprogramming the computer with the SCT XCalibrator 2. Now my X just flies. No more hesitation, Gas mileage improved to 15 MPG, and the exhaust sounds awesome.

rpr said:
2900 miles.

SCT???
PCM flasher, your far from broaken in yet, your miliage will get far better around 6 K miles

where can i get an sct

How do these SCT Calibrators work? I assume you need the caibrator as the hardware to do the flashing. But is the programming all individual options that you tweak at your own discretion, or does SCT also include pre-configured performance flash programs you can just load for an '06 V8 3V Explorer?

The web site seems to be all about Mustangs?

rpr said:
How do these SCT Calibrators work? I assume you need the caibrator as the hardware to do the flashing. But is the programming all individual options that you tweak at your own discretion, or does SCT also include pre-configured performance flash programs you can just load for an '06 V8 3V Explorer?

The web site seems to be all about Mustangs?

It comes with 3 pre-programmed programs based on what you request. Octane level, towing, performance, modifications, etc...
You can also make your own programs or tweak the pre-programmed ones.
It also lets you put it back to stock.

Sorry I asked. Now I MUST have one of these things!

Is BamaChips the best on-line retailer?

rpr said:
Sorry I asked. Now I MUST have one of these things!

Is BamaChips the best on-line retailer?

Everyone on this site who has a Bama program likes it.

I have many and love them. I even had Doug dyno tune my truck.

I must be stupid. I can't find any Explorer applications on Bamachips web site other than just the tune files.

Where can you get a SCT XCalibrator 2 for an '06 Explorer.

rpr said:
I must be stupid. I can't find any Explorer applications on Bamachips web site other than just the tune files.

Where can you get a SCT XCalibrator 2 for an '06 Explorer.

From Bama Chips. E Mail Doug with any questions.

bentley said:
I had the same complaints. I Upgraded the Mufler to a magnaflow and removed the resonator, added a KKM intake, and most important change was reprogramming the computer with the SCT XCalibrator 2. Now my X just flies. No more hesitation, Gas mileage improved to 15 MPG, and the exhaust sounds awesome.

Do you have any pics of your exhaust or sound clips? My wife wants exhaust on hers but i'm kinda picky, and just trying to get idea's. Cherry Bomb is the best sounding muffler ever... ;) :cool:

aldive said:
From Bama Chips. E Mail Doug with any questions.
and good luck,connecting with doug, and or bama chips :p

aldive said:
Why? I just talked to him tonight.
Because you two are bros :D dude, Bama has been off this site for 8 mos.
email him, see if he responds,Common people :D

Doug promptly helps everyone I referrer to him.

I see on another website where another tuner has really ticked off a bunch of folks' not delivering paid for products and the like.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The easiest way to order it is call explorerexpress.com and order it thru them. They pass the info & order to Doug @ Bamachips. I got mine within a week.

Back