Suggestions Needed to Improve 2006 V8 3V Performance!!! | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Suggestions Needed to Improve 2006 V8 3V Performance!!!

rpr said:
Couple of questions:

1) Does using these tunes void any warranties?

2) Before I take my X in for dealer service, should I flash back to the stock programming?

1) Yes, the dealer might void the warranty for having an aftermarket tune on the motor. The reasoning is that if the program is altered from factory settings, they may say that you put a program in that is detrimental to the motor. Examples of this is an extremely lean tune that would burn the pistons or over agressive timing that causes detonation.

A lot of it depends upon the service department. I have seen cases where the warranty has not been voided, and other cases where it has been voided.

2) YOU BETCHA!!! Absolutely put it back to stock.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I´m driving the SCT XCal-2 w/ Kurtz Kustomz Intake and Filter and I´m pleased with this combination. Wrote about it in another threat ( V8 Eddie w/ Xcal 2 ). BTW : w/o KKM Kit the performance of the SCT isn´t as good as using it w/ KKM Kit.

Most times i´m using the "regular fuel performance" setup, for trailer towing the "regular torque" setup.

I am currently testing on my first long trip using gps and noticing the X is now over reporting mileage and speed by 5 percent. I guess I will need to manually reduce tire size settings to compensate. Disappointing...eans my increase in fuel ecnomy has been overexaggerated.

like I say : don´t trust a speedo you don´t have adjusted yourself..... one of the SCT´s advantages. And, RPR, you´re right : the reported speed is higher than real. At my Eddie it has been 7 % at 65 mph

Crizz..not sure if my orig post was clear. My speedo was right in sync with my gps before I flashed. Since I flashed using SCT w/ BamaChips tune, it over reports by 5 percent.

The problem is in the custom tune, not the X.

Hm... mine was out of sync before I used the SCT. W/ default values, itßs the same again. Needed the SCT to get it work right. Curious

Another question. I will have to manually reduce the tire settings in the user adjustable settins during the flash to fix the errors in the odomoter and speedometer readings.

What will this do the performance characteristics of the tune itself? I assume all the tune settings are influenced by tire size? RPM, etc.

have tried several adjustments to figure out if I was right with my calculatet revs per mile for my tire-size. I did not notice any influence to the tunes, in my opinion it´s only to adjust the speedo.

Before I bought the XCal-2, my garage tried to disable the speed-limitter ( w/o success ). At the proceeding I saw that the Ford-WDS allows to select the tire-size, too. The mechanic said it´s for the speedo, it replaces the change of cogwheel like in the earlier years to adjust the speedo.

Back