Suggestions on re-connecting A4LD to engine? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Suggestions on re-connecting A4LD to engine?

Oh man, that would be a hell of a lot of fun. Mostly HELL, and not really fun at all.

I laugh thinking of treating the whole trans like a big weight you hold in two hands, and gently "feel" it miss or engage as you slip it onto the torque converter.

Don't do it.
That is the only way to do it it looks like to me

Why is it the only way?

That is the only way to do it it looks like to me

Put the torque convertor into the transmission first, seating the TC is often tough and delicate to do. You can't do that at the same time while lining up the bell housing bolts.

Put the TC in the trans, that isn't too bad most of the time. Then put the trans in, while keeping the TC seated fully. That's the only way to do it. Go slow, be patient, that's the best advice.

Converter must be fully seated in the front pump before stabbing the trans! You cannot put the transmission over the converter, there are 3 splined shafts that must engage the converter and you will never get them to line up with the converter already on the engine.
You turn the engine over 4 times to gain access to the converter studs/nuts through the flexplate.
You CANNOT stab the trans over an already attached converter, you will damage your front seal and pump........

Back