Sun Visor problems | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Sun Visor problems

So I just ordered my 2 new visor mirrors today. Are the new cover hinges better quality than the crap that came with Explorer originally?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So I just ordered my 2 new visor mirrors today. Are the new cover hinges better quality than the crap that came with Explorer originally?

The new ones are crap as well. Replaced the ones in my wife's 2005 last year at $80 each and they've both cracked (Tan) and fell out in pieces. I've glued one back together well enough so I can get some dimensions, going to model them up in my CAD and see if I can turn out aluminum replacements on my CNC machine.

The new ones are crap as well. Replaced the ones in my wife's 2005 last year at $80 each and they've both cracked (Tan) and fell out in pieces. I've glued one back together well enough so I can get some dimensions, going to model them up in my CAD and see if I can turn out aluminum replacements on my CNC machine.

Hey I'm new to this forum(as a result from a search for this and other problems) Just curious if you figured a way to fix this? I do all of my own repairs on pretty much anything I own. I just have not seen a way to get all the tiny little pieces put together well enough to make some sort of template. Any ideas anyone?

I also have the wonderful cracked rear panel on my 04 XLT to repair as well as the hinges on the rear glass. ugh!!:frustrate

I finally found out what my clicking AC issue was. :thumbsup:

Other than that I'm a very happy EX owner and I bought it brand new in 04 still looks brand new and is just over 50K miles!

I'm just thinking outloud hear.

I've seen people that open the vanity mirror, do their business, then just flip up the entire visor, rathern than first closing the mirror, THEN flipping up the visor.

I can see that if there is a contour to the headliner, or the mirror cover catches on something, this method could stress the hinge, resulting in failure.

Just a thought.

I'm just thinking outloud hear.

I've seen people that open the vanity mirror, do their business, then just flip up the entire visor, rathern than first closing the mirror, THEN flipping up the visor.

I can see that if there is a contour to the headliner, or the mirror cover catches on something, this method could stress the hinge, resulting in failure.

Just a thought.

Actually it is a piss poor design. The plastic used is the issue. It is very brittle. Even the cover that goes over the lighted mirrors won't stay closed. Problem with this is that if they open enough the lights will stay on. I figure I can remedy this with a very small, well-trimmed piece of velcro. Just wonder if I can find some in a tan color.

Really sucks having these little stupid troubles on a truck that only has 50K on it. I have this issue, the beloved "Butt Crack" issue on the back panel, and just a couple months ago both front and rear actuator doors started doing the famous clicking noise. At least those aren't expensive fixes just a pain in the butt to get to!!! Dang just about done paying her off and the stupid stuff starts!!!:mad: Up until a year ago when the "Butt Crack" started to show itself, I have had only one issue with this truck which was in it's first year. They replaced the rear differential(3.73 limited slip). It was getting a shudder when turning. From the looks of things that seem to be the norm, I've been extremely lucky!

04 XLT Sport 4X2 4.6V8
Dark Blue Pearl/Platinum
Med. Parchment Lthr Sport Buckets with 3rd row
Class 4 Tow PKG/3.73 LS Axle
Rear A/C, Roof Rails,Reverse Sens.
17" Sport Aluminum Wheels(with silver centr caps from an Edge)

The passenger side mirror assy on the passenger side was completely loose from the visor itself when we bought in (used). It's just hanging by the fabric. It seems that whatever push-pins that once held it in place broke. Does not seem servicable.

I'm waiting for something else to go bad (?) then will take into the dealer under PremiumCare Ext Warranty. I want to make my $100 deductible go as far as possible.

Sun Visors broke 3 Times in 3 Years!

We bought a 2004 Eddie Bauer Explorer in 2008 with @15,000 miles. Within a month of buying it we started to see cracks in the visor brackets. We have now replaced both the passenger and driver visors twice since 2008, and the driver's visor bracket is severely cracked and barely hanging on.

Unfortunately for me, we bought the car used and Ford won't honor the warranty. We bought an extended warranty but they say it is cosmetic, and won't pay for the replacement. I talked to Ford Customer "Service" (using that term loosely), and they basically told me to jump in a lake. Worst service I've ever encountered! They couldn't care less. We need to all report to the Consumer Product Safety Commission to get Ford to fix this problem. I can't have the visor breaking every year!

Go to https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/ to file a complaint.

Well good luck to you all. I'll always be a true blue Ford man and supporter, but my wife and I made the decision a couple weeks ago to rid ourselves of this soon to be albatross from around our neck. I cherried the Explorer out to as new condition and went and traded it in on a super sweet ride. 06 Nissan Maxima. It looks and runs like it just left the showroom floor! It has every bell and whistle possible in a car and it has the feel of a truly solid built car that will last for another 20 years without a single hitch!
After reading so many threads about the impending doom I was soon getting ready to face, I took the extra $6K and slapped her down on a pearl white beauty who could talk back to me in such a sexy voice. I am in love again!!! We got such an amazing deal as if it were sent from heaven to our doorstep! Best dealing I have ever done at a car dealer.(I do have some experience in car sales from back in the day when I was still in the service but selling new and used Fords in Marysville Ca. The Maxima has 277hp and is very willing to let her rip on down the road in scream mode while still pulling 27-29mpg with a 0-60 time of 5.4sec. Oh the numbers I had missed from years ago when I had my 67 GTA coupe with a 425hp 289 V8.

I will truly miss the explorer, she was a truly wonderful truck and we had so many super good times in it! Hope the next couple enjoys her as much as we did. Hope they run across this bunch here. Great people and wonderful site!

I just might have to stop in one day and show off the new ride for you all! LOL!!! Take it light and easy!!!

I thought I was in the gen4 section (not gen3) of this forum....

So....
A guy comes on the gen4 section to tell us that he's traded his gen3 SUV for Nissan CAR.

???:dunno:

You can buy OEM replacements on EBay for around $80 for both visors. I bought them about a year ago and have yet to have any problems. They even have the annoying stickers on them

Same problem with visors

I had my passenger side go bad first. They replaced it under warranty. The drivers side went bad now, but I have over 40,000 miles. Ford sold me on the premium extended service plan, telling me it was "bumper to bumper" for 100,000 miles. Not for this item. Ford refused to provide me a new visor.

I'm a little upset because I almost never use the driver's side. The plastic clearly becomes brittle over time. This is clearly defective, but there is no acknowledgment by Ford about this. I am going to look for how to get a refund on the ESP I have, and I am going back to Toyota. I never had nuisance problems like this with Toyota. I believed all the talk about how Ford was new and as reliable as Toyota now. Clearly that was all just talk. I have had several items repaired under warranty. I am going back to Toyota for my next vehicle just for peace of mind. People who have never owned Toyota have no idea what kind of quality they are missing.

^ Not familiar with all the talk about how Ford was new and as reliable as Toyota now.

I have a Lexus (lux brand of Toyota) and the quality is significantly different.

I guess if you have the money to buy a Toyota, you would expect it to last better. I've always found them to be out of my price range, thus I bought the Ford. The visors are the only real problem we've had with ours, and we bought it used 1 year old with 21K miles for $16,900! We now have 49K after 3 more years. Had zero problems having Ford replace both visors twice, it IS a 36K bumper to bumper warranty, and if your dealer has any speck of customer service, they would take care of it. The two dealers I deal with will take care of everything, even doing extra things and not charging for it like cutting & programming me an extra key for just the cost of a key blank! And removing wheel locks for free when I lost the key.

I do like Toyota quality too. That's why we bought a Pontiac Vibe for my son, simply because it is a Toyota Matrix, but with a Pontiac wrapper, and thus is a lot cheaper! But it has been back to the dealer for more problems than the Explorer, the PCM went bad and it had to be towed, a part that was recalled a year later. Had to replace the rear power window motors and switches, they failed at two different times. I will take a few broken mirror covers, at least they don't leave you stranded in the middle of the road. :D

EZClip Brackets for sun visor

We are in the process of designing a new bracket for 2006 - 2010 Ford Explorers and if you are interested in participating in the test group send us some photos of your broken visor to support@ezclipbrackets.com. The first five who contact us will receive one of the new brackets for free in exchange for their feedback.

If you need a bracket and your vehicle is not listed here please send us an email to the address above as we are looking to expand our product base.

EZClip Brackets for sun visor

Your brackets look great! Just wondered if you have developed the brackets for the 2006-2010 models yet? I own an '07 Mountaineer Premier (without sunroof) and both my driver side and passenger side sun visor brackets have broken. Thanks, Mike

Hi Mike,

Thank you for your interest in sun visor brackets for your vehicle. You are the first person to respond to my post. Unfortunately I have not yet produced anything for that product line, and I could not tell you when we will get a chance to begin development. I would like to think we will have a prototype done within the next month, but I wouldn't want you to wait. I will certainly update you when we move forward with production.

Best Regards,

Paul Bishop
EZClip Brackets, LLC

Both of mine on my 07 XLT are broken as well.

I have the tan interior.

The passenger side broke first and then the drivers side soon after.

I was out of the 36,000 mile warranty or course by the time they broke.

I am not going to pay $80 a piece for these things to replace them.

Is there a easy way to disconnect the light so it won't drain your battery?

I am tired of the cover falling down every time someone wants to put down the visor.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You can pop the cover off of the bracket that secures the visor to the roof of the vehicle. You should then see a couple of screws that hold it on. Take those out and you should see a cable going up under the headliner from the visor. slowly pull it out slowly and you'll find a connector a few inches up. You can disconnect this cable and it will keep the light from coming on.

Back