• Register Today It's free!

Sunroof/Moonroof Noise

Broke(n)

Reaction score
City, State
San Diego, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 300A Limited
I've noticed for couple months now that there is a 'binding' noise coming from the sunroof/moonroof.
It's like a binding noise and I think it is coming from the center crossbeam. When I apply pressure to it, the noise stops. Applying pressure to glass does nothing to solve the issue. The noise appears like it's coming from the front of the glass but that's because I'm closer to that area I suppose. But it's defiantly due to that center support or whatever that crossmemeber is.

Anyone else having this issue? It can get quite loud sometimes even over the radio at volume 15

2020 Limited 2WD

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No others have reported a similar issue.

Peter

I had this problem with my Continental and I posted a detailed fix procedure somewhere in this forum. Luckily I do Not have this on my Explorer (at least not yet).

I've noticed for couple months now that there is a 'binding' noise coming from the sunroof/moonroof.
It's like a binding noise and I think it is coming from the center crossbeam. When I apply pressure to it, the noise stops. Applying pressure to glass does nothing to solve the issue. The noise appears like it's coming from the front of the glass but that's because I'm closer to that area I suppose. But it's defiantly due to that center support or whatever that crossmemeber is.

Anyone else having this issue? It can get quite loud sometimes even over the radio at volume 15

2020 Limited 2WD
Yes, I have the same issue with my 2021 Ford Explorer ST. I just bought it a week and a half ago, and had it into the dealership the very next day. If I push up on the plastic piece that divides the two pieces of glass, the noise goes away. Drives me absolutely crazy.

Yes, I have the same issue with my 2021 Ford Explorer ST. I just bought it a week and a half ago, and had it into the dealership the very next day. If I push up on the plastic piece that divides the two pieces of glass, the noise goes away. Drives me absolutely crazy

I'm not sure what a binding noise is... but if its a squeek, check that the the center plastic piece is landing on two little pads on the sunroof... the pads slipped on mine and made an intolerable squeaking noise.. moved the pads forward so the tabs land on them and no more squeek. I posted the parts diagram last fall that showed the parts... i jus can't find it now...

I'm not sure what a binding noise is... but if its a squeek, check that the the center plastic piece is landing on two little pads on the sunroof... the pads slipped on mine and made an intolerable squeaking noise.. moved the pads forward so the tabs land on them and no more squeek. I posted the parts diagram last fall that showed the parts... i jus can't find it now...
I don't know what binding noise is eithet, but the squeaking is intolerable. After reading the comments, I looked up there last night to see if I could find the pads, and didn't see anything (pads or the metal part that is hitting). Which side of the plastic support is it on? Like, do I look at the center plastic piece while I'm sitting in the front seats, or while I'm sitting in the second row seats?

I don't know what binding noise is eithet, but the squeaking is intolerable. After reading the comments, I looked up there last night to see if I could find the pads, and didn't see anything (pads or the metal part that is hitting). Which side of the plastic support is it on? Like, do I look at the center plastic piece while I'm sitting in the front seats, or while I'm sitting in the second row seats?

you can see it with the roof tilted up. The tab in the foreground sits on the pad on the sunroof. in my case it looked like the adhesive wasn't fully set and the pad slipped... i was able to pull it off and reset it and its been fine ever since... i figured it out because the noise stopped when i opened the roof or when i pulled down (or pushed up) on the plastic piece...

sr.jpg

you can see it with the roof tilted up. The tab in the foreground sits on the pad on the sunroof. in my case it looked like the adhesive wasn't fully set and the pad slipped... i was able to pull it off and reset it and its been fine ever since... i figured it out because the noise stopped when i opened the roof or when i pulled down (or pushed up) on the plastic piece...

View attachment 450463
I'm so excited. When I was driving to work this morning I vented the sunroof, and the noise completely stopped. This also allowed me to look up and see the pads that you're talking about. I couldn't see them last night when it was dark, but I definitely saw them this morning. So I'll give it a shot after work today, and try to move the pads and see if that helps. Thanks so much for all your help!

I'm so excited. When I was driving to work this morning I vented the sunroof, and the noise completely stopped. This also allowed me to look up and see the pads that you're talking about. I couldn't see them last night when it was dark, but I definitely saw them this morning. So I'll give it a shot after work today, and try to move the pads and see if that helps. Thanks so much for all your help!
good luck. the squeak made mine intolerable to drive... and it took me a few weeks to figure out where it was coming from because the shade redirected the sound. 30 seconds to reposition the pads and 9 months later still without the squeek.

See if you can get a before picture for others to see if they have the same issue.

Back