Super Charger choice | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Super Charger choice

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

powerdyne- easier to make more power down the road.

Explorer Express!
makes power at lower rpms w/out the need to spool up!
will net more seat of the pants feel since the other only boosts when your at speed and expos arent exactly light!

bah- too much work

don't do either- just save up and buy a 347 long block from a pro builder.

expo, what would you do to get that extra power down the road ?

you can change the pulleys and run around 10 lbs of boost with larger injectors and a few other minor fuel delivery mods.

honestly though- i'd keep my money and get a motor built (and thats what i do plan on doing)

Originally posted by expo5.0
you can change the pulleys and run around 10 lbs of boost with larger injectors and a few other minor fuel delivery mods.

honestly though- i'd keep my money and get a motor built (and thats what i do plan on doing)

Well Tommy.. I like Drew's idea and all.. but I think you should get a charger.. run it for a while.. then swap in a 347 and add your charger to that. :D

Does John even have any left?

do the smart thing buy a built 347 like my brothers and then buy my brother old blower and braket and you will be the second fastest explorer in the country. that is a shure fire formula. the vortech is a great blower as well as the powerdyne.

How much can you pick up an a-trim or s-trim for? What would be a good price for a used one on corral?

Running 10 psi of boost would require building up an engine. The stock high compression 5.0 won't last long even with injectors or a fuel pump upgrade. It is cool to have a 10-12 second drag race Explorer. But if you want reliable instant boost for $3000. The X-Charger is the way to go. This is something you can install over a weekend and have the fastest Explorer in your town by Monday. Not the 2nd fastest in the county, but how much money do you want to spend. How much time do you want to spend doing it. Even a quality stroker motor should cost more than 3k. The drag race Explorers are a different deal than a dailey driven everyday vehicle. If you have a lot of cash you want to spend, you can build a killer Explorer with the Eaton blower. The X-Charger is easy to install and offers better drivability than the Powerdyne. We have two sitting on the shelf right now for $2995 ea (plus shipping). We will order more after that, but the price will go back up to $3495.

Attachments

• x-charger 5.0 web.jpg
    x-charger 5.0 web.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 697

in my opion a eaton with out a intercooler on a explorer is a bad blower and would not put one on any ones truck. yes you can run 10 pounds of boost on a stock motor and have it reliable and drive it every day. i know we did that back in the day. we even tried to blow up my brother stock motor but it held so strong we sold it to a mustang guy and it ran great for him. he even put nitrous on it. if you want to make power you have to pick your mods carfully. if you want to just bolt on some stuff so you can brag just by every thing you see. abover all else i think blower are not that good of mods to begine with. you have to be fast then most of what you see on the street then you should just spray a 175 in your explorer and not buy a blower at all.

Thanks everyone for your input. I am going w/ the charger (not sure which one yet), I am not ready to do a stroker motor at this time. I am not selling my X ANYTIME SOON so who knows :D

Thanks again

Tom

always go with what will works best for you. all the blower out there make good torque as well as nos and stroker motor. just make shure you pick your combo well. no matter what get bigger injectors and exhaust with a apten chip. those are the main must haves.

Just to let you guys know I had a pwerdyne on my stock motor and I ran it for about 30000 miles with no proplems. I had 10 psi of boost with 77mm mass air meter, 24 lbs injectors, t-rex inline pump, svo headers, ford E cam, custom exhaust and it made 297 hp and 385 tq in 92 degree weather. That is 117 hp and 100 lbs of torque more than it made stock. I drove that truck so hard it was not funny and I never blew it up. I had no drivabilty problems at all. The centrifutional blowers do not make the air as hot as the roots blowers. A roots blower without a intercooler is either one of two things, a time boom or very slow because you can not run enough boost to make the real power. Now with an intercooler you can run more timing and more boost without having detonation problems. As an example we put a powerdyne on a mustang at our shop and we also put a kenn bell roots blower on a identical mustang at the same time. After we were done with both we raced them down the street to see which was faster with the same amount of boost. The powerdyne car ran circles around the kenn bell car. This was because the air on the roots blower was 75 degrees hotter than the powerdyne. We measured the air intake tempreture on both. Without intercoolers it just does not pay to use a roots blower.
As for daily drivers go I drive my explorer every day 28 miles plus on the weekends to. I use it to haul my 23 foot boat and stuff around with. It has power steering and AC. It is a little on the loud side but that is the way I like it. It is a street car on 93 octane and will meet emitions. So any one who says it is not a daily driver is full of it. Ask any one who knows me if I drive it every day. Yes I spent alot of money on it but that is how I get my kicks out of life and it is my perogative to do so. As far as the explorer express blower kit goes I am sure it is great for a stock car but if you plan on doing any real high performance moods than I suggest you get something else because it can not flow enough air for a bigger cubic inch motor than stock displacement. Any 5.0 with heads and cam will suck that baby dry. If it does not need bigger injectors and a bigger pump that means it is not makeing that much hp because my powerdyne needed an fmu, 24 lbs injectors, and a inline pump to keep the air fuel ratio good enough for the power I made at the time. This is my opinion and should be read as such and I hope this helps someone out there make an informed opinion by themseves and only listen to propaganda by someone who is trying to sell something. I am not trying to sell anything.

thanks for all the input and info

troll is a bada$$

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Jon V. - Any news on the supercharger for the 4.0 SOHC. Still waiting to pick one of those up....

Back