Supercharging a 2003 Explorer w Aviator DOHC Heads | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Supercharging a 2003 Explorer w Aviator DOHC Heads

In the interim, after communicating with an experienced MKVIII seller I purchased the heaviest of the three harmonic balancer weights available for a MKVIII.

The heaviest one is supposed to be best suited for an automatic transmission. I need to compare it (pulley diameter, weight & wear) with the one on the Explorer.

Using the heaviest harmonic balancer to work in conjunction with an automatic transmission sounds like it would make sense. whats your thought process on this tho?

Also are you planning on using the factory 5R55S that came with that explorer centennial? And what are you planning on doing with the 4.6 SOHC you pull out of the centennial? Is it in good shape?

Using a mach 1 upper and lower is a far better idea then using the runner control IMO, I think itll breathe better.

I've read that the DOHC with runner control has more low engine speed torque than with the Mach 1 intake which is what I prefer but I'm also interested in simplicity and reliability. I agree that the Mach 1 intake would flow better at high engine speeds but I have no interest in racing.

I think explorer sports with the 4.0 SOHC from 96-2000 have pretty much almost an identical engine bay to that of the explorer sports from 01-03 with the 4.0 SOHC, I cant see any differences but if their are any let me know.

I have no first hand knowledge regarding the 2001+ Sports but some members have posted that they are more like the Sport Trac than the earlier 2000- Sports. I think the first Sport Tracs are about 1.5 inches wider than my Sport. If someone was able to install a 4.6L in a Sport it would certainly be more difficult to maintain.

I've read that the DOHC with runner control has more low engine speed torque than with the Mach 1 intake which is what I prefer but I'm also interested in simplicity and reliability. I agree that the Mach 1 intake would flow better at high engine speeds but I have no interest in racing.

I have no first hand knowledge regarding the 2001+ Sports but some members have posted that they are more like the Sport Trac than the earlier 2000- Sports. I think the first Sport Tracs are about 1.5 inches wider than my Sport. If someone was able to install a 4.6L in a Sport it would certainly be more difficult to maintain.
The frame and engine bays are the same width, the space for the engine and exhaust is identical. That's from the 95 Explorer, up to the 03 Sport, and the 1st gen Sport Trac's. The whole front end is different outside for those 01's etc, you are thinking of. It's all external changes, to the body lines.

Using the heaviest harmonic balancer to work in conjunction with an automatic transmission sounds like it would make sense. whats your thought process on this tho?

I didn't think much about it when I ordered the balancer. I trusted the seller's experience over my inexperience. Since my DOHC rotating assembly was balanced by a local machine shop and I was not asked to supply a harmonic balancer I assume that the 4.6L is internally balanced. A heavier harmonic balancer would have an increased rotating mass which might slightly impede rapid engine acceleration/deceleration but would provide a smoother idle.

Also are you planning on using the factory 5R55S that came with that explorer centennial? And what are you planning on doing with the 4.6 SOHC you pull out of the centennial? Is it in good shape?

I purchased the vehicle from the original owner and it has been well maintained by the dealer who sold it. A few years before I purchased it the original owner gave it to his daughter as a graduation gift. The daughter recalls there was a shift problem that the dealer fixed but didn't know the specifics. I'm hoping the case bores have been bored and sleeved but I haven't checked. I thought about replacing the torque converter when I get the engine out but I have not detected any issues with the torque converter or the transmission. I have an 8 bolt crankshaft instead of the Explorer 6 bolt crankshaft so I'll have to purchase a new flexplate.There are about 185,000 miles on the odometer. Recently I had some engine issues but a new IAC valve, spark plugs and a pre-cat O2 sensor corrected all of them. Since I only purchased an Aviator long block I will transfer the Centennial engine wiring harnesses, dust shield, torque converter inspection plate, starter, A/C compressor/mount, alternator, power steering pump/mount, motor mounts, oil filter/coolant adapter, crankshaft position sensor, camshaft position sensor and maybe something else I haven't thought of. Initially I plan to use the Centennial injectors instead of the higher flow rate Mach 1 injectors so I don't have to do a tune to get the DOHC running. The rest of the Centennial engine I'll sell as is but not until I get the DOHC running.

Back