Superchip and a leaky engine...

Scott B.

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 Ranger XLT
Adding a Superchip will not alter the amount of oil your engine leaks. The only thing a Superchip does is alter the timing curve throughout the rpm range. I added a Superchip to mine and absolutely love it.

Also, you don't need to run premium grade fuel with the stock ignition system. The book says the engine will run on 87 octane - I ran mine on 89 (before the Superchip), since I pinged every once in a while on 87. With the Superchip, you will need to run premium.

You might also try running a synthetic blend oil (instead of full synthetic). This could help reduce your oil leakage.

------------------
Scott
sjbosso@mindspring.com

I have a question...

I am seriously considering a superchip for my explorer (check out www.smartyparts.com ) but there might be a problem...

i have a slight oil leak, nothing that makes me even have to refill after a while, just a little one (i think it is an old worn out gasket) the only reason i know it is there is from the smell when i am sitting at a light of the oil hitting my exhaust. fixing it doesnt justify the $600 price tag.

the question is, is it ok to put on a superchip despite this small leak? i already run mobil 1 synthetic oil (30,000 miles so far) and only supreme gas (i take the bus). i also have opened up the exhaust w/ a k&n and a flow... i dont want to make anything worse than it already is...

thanks

i run premium because i can afford to, my explorer is old and i like to treat it well... that is why i also went to synthetic oil. unfortunatly the oil leak has been there before the change to synthetics so i really dont want to go back to the other stuff, i just want to treat my explorer nice as it gets on in age.

i suppose that i am going to get that superchip soon... i will keep people on this forum informed as to how my old exploder runs with the new chip...

Back