• Register Today It's free!

SUPERCHIPPED!

Ru Dawg

Reaction score
City, State
Wyomissing, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 XLT
hey everyone.just wanted to say "thanks" to everyone that help with ideas to get my Superchip on and the ECU secured in place.Here is what I did.I broke off the plastic vertical piece and the 2 plastic knobs on the side where the chip is (left if facing towards the back). After doing this, the ECU slid right back the way it normally goes!!! So, I couldn't wait to get it on the road and CHECK IT OUT! The first time I floored it, it went to about 5100rpm and didn't shift for a little over a second...kinda scarred me. It also seems a little sluggish.

Does it just take a couple runs to set itself?
I still have 1/2 tank of 87 octane b4 I start using 93...could this be the problem?

Thanks again, sorry so lengthy!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hmm... it does shift at higher RPMs when you floor... but did you reset your battery and all that? After that it should take a little while driving to get to normal... and are you sure its sluggish? or did you just forget how explorers drive? :) hehe.

You should hear me floor it... all these mean sounds... and I start moving about a half hour later... hehe

nick

chip performance

lol here flyguy! i did disconnect the battery while installing the chip..and i guess i did forget it's an explorer! I think you are right about giving it a few days...just seemed to be lagging somewhere..esp around 30 to 50 mph with it floored...I'll wait and see!

Re: chip performance

Originally posted by Ru Dawg
lol here flyguy! i did disconnect the battery while installing the chip..and i guess i did forget it's an explorer! I think you are right about giving it a few days...just seemed to be lagging somewhere..esp around 30 to 50 mph with it floored...I'll wait and see!

By all accounts of everything I've read you will probably want to run premium even if it doesn't ping. If your knock sensor can retard the timing enough to get rid of the knock, you won't hear it knock but you also won't be getting the added benefit of the advance timing. I put a SuperChip on my '94 4.0L Ranger and didn't realize that I should have been running Premium all the time since the paper that came with my SuperChip stated "higher octane gas may be required if you experience heavy pinging". Mine didn't ping so I only ran premium when I took it to the track. According to SuperChips, it takes 2-3 tanks of premium for the computer to make all of the required adjustments. I never ran more than one tank of premium in a row, so I never felt much if any improvement with the SuperChip on my Ranger. The other problem I had was the OHV 4.0L falls flat above 5200 RPM, at least my '94 did. The SuperChip raised my rev limiter from the stock 5200 limit. Unfortunately whenever I exceeded 5200 RPM, my engine made a screaming sound and seemed to slow down somewhat. I had better 1/4 mile times if I shifted at 5200 RPM instead of the 5500 it was capable of.

That said, I just received my SuperChip for my '97 SOHC Explorer on Monday. It made a huge difference! Stock, it shifted at 6000 RPM. It will now climb all the way to 6500 with ease, with a lurch forward when it upshifts. The advanced timing helps somewhat as well, since I can't even tell when my A/C is on now. The thing that I am most happy about is the change to Ford's crappy shift management. Before, if I was cruising along at about 50 MPH and floored it, it would first shift into 4th, then 3rd, before finally shifting into 2nd. The process took up to 2 seconds. Now when I floor it at 50 MPH, it goes straight to 2nd and takes off.

Finally, I have read many times that Ford changed the shift points on the '98 and up SOHC Explorers. I think it was emissions related. Anyway, they shift at a lower RPM than my '97 does. The '99 I rented last year seemed to shift around 5000 RPM, and seemed weak compared to my '97. If the SuperChip moves the shift point up to 6500 on the '98-2000 like my '97, I bet you'd feel an even greater increase than I felt. I hesitated buying another SuperChip after my experience with my Ranger and due to the arrogant attitude from the SuperChip employee, but after reading several positive results I gave them another try. I am glad I did.

I am also chiped as of my lunch at noon. I pulled the computer and chipped it in the 110 degree heat. I used the acidic sweat dripping from my forhead to clean the conacts.

Pinged all the way back to work on the tank of reg gas. Put in 1/2 tank of super 92 to soup it up a bit. A thank you letter from Chris at smarty parts signed by the man himself is a great touch. KKM sitting on the bench going on tonight also. I think I'll be taking the kids on a romp though the desert tonight.

Time to edit my signature again!!

Another Superchip

The Superchip went in the other day and the pick-up through the mid to upper rpm range does seem better but I just hate paying those Arab sheiks and greedy gas monopolists the extra dough for premium. I did a before and after test with the AMSoil/Airbox and the KKM wrapped with a sheet of air conditioner (3/16") sprayed with K&N oil; it runs better with the KKM. Since the Flowmaster went on yesterday it is hard to distinguish between the three mods to find out where the improvement lays for sure

Back