Superlift 4" suspension lift for explorers | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Superlift 4" suspension lift for explorers

expHendrix47

Reaction score
City, State
New York
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XLT
hey i was wondering if anyone on here is running this lift?..what is the max size tire you can fit with this lift? how much does it affect the handling a driveability of the truck?...what kind of gear ratio will i have to change to with the bigger tires for an everyday driver/once in a while off roader...does the lift kit come with everything you need?...let me know

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am the search button. hahaha

I am running this lift. It is really nice. Cant complain one bit. I am running 33x12.50R15 and had to do minor trimming. It is going to handle much differently than stock... its lifted. Not a big deal though. As for gears I went with 4.10 and they are better than when I was stock, and had my 3.27. Also my truck is my DD and it drives like a champ. I also have lockers front and rear.

This kit is better than the Trailmaster for the fact that it has extended knuckles...the Trailmaster, from what I have heard, has bolt on extensions.

As far as quality of the components...I think it should be better for the amount of money you spend.

We installed a Rancho 4" on my brother's 2001 Silverado...it looked like a better quality of product than the Superlift. As an Explorer owner, you have to take what you can get!

Everyone told me to get 4.56 gears when I had my 33"s. I don't like that combo and would use the 4.10s like Premier. I also have a 5 speed, and highway cruising with that combo stunk.

I couldn't wait till winter was over to put my 35"s back on. The 4.56 and 35"s with my 5 speed are a perfect combo, although it still tachs out a bit on the highway. Around town it's great.

If you only plan to do 33"s get 4.10s.

Another note on the lift. If you do the TT for just 1" of extra lift on top of the 4" Superlift, it will take away some of the body roll.

You can just buy the front lift parts and do the rear cheap. You can get rear spring perches for $20 and do a SOA. Mine turned out to give 6" lift in the rear. It looks good with a slight rake in the front...at least I like it!

I'm running the Superlift 4" lift with a 3" Body lift and 33x12 Procomp Mud Tires and 4:10 gears. Never had problem with the lift and love the tires, there great in all kinds of terrain.

You will need tobuy longer front brake lines, otherwise everything comes with the kit. Also remember to use locktite on the bolts.

beatdeadhorse.gif

Carl D. said:
You will need tobuy longer front brake lines

NO. This is on a second gen stock are fine even with a BL. As for the roll, you can eliminate that also by taking those POS superlift shocks and pitching them out the window while doing about 80.

As for the rest of your question and suggestions, try the search, this topic has been gone over several times, and you will find some very usefull info.

Lifted95X said:

Cmon man, this is a message board. If NO one EVER asked new questions and just used the search, then the board would die. I know I asked you some questions about the superlift one I first joined. If you dont feel like helping, just dont post IMO. Someone already told him to search, he doesnt need 20 people telling him to search.

I have the 4" Superlift on my 97 V8 and it works really well. To control the body lean, get with Explorer Express and buy the beefy sway bar kits (front and rear). They are bad ass!! My truck handles much better. The only problem I found, was that I bent and broke the Superlift sway bar links. Luckily, the machinist at my work custom made some really nice pieces for my truck. Enjoy!!

I am not even running sway bars. It doesn't feel like it needs them... it handles well without them.

Premier said:
Cmon man, this is a message board. If NO one EVER asked new questions and just used the search, then the board would die. I know I asked you some questions about the superlift one I first joined. If you dont feel like helping, just dont post IMO. Someone already told him to search, he doesnt need 20 people telling him to search.
Oh....didn't mean to offend anyone. :rolleyes: you are right about the "New Questions", but this is by no means new. Also, I did feel like helping, and did so. By telling him he's beating a dead horse, lets him know that this has been talked about before. In telling someone that, they will probably get more info by looking at this thread (In which fewer people will post because it has been talked about before), and looking at others(when this actual topic was fairly new and people did discuss it more).

Not offended. I just think if you can help, then throw your 2cents in. If you dont want to then no nead in having a bunch of people post "search". :)

I think this link is very nice to have. Things change all the time and if its not brought up then some new information may not be found. I still dont have much information for the 4" Superlift for my '99 EB. I found an excelent write-up of another EB but he used a body lift, TT, and shackles. I would like more info about a suspention lift since I would like more than just making the truck taller. I know from reading here the idea of the body lift is to allow for larger tires which I want but the lift only ends up being 1.5" after going from 30" to 33" tires. If I have read right a 4" suspension plus the tires is more like a 5.5" difference from stock. I won't run on here but the search feature only goes so far. The library is full of books but sometimes you learn so much more just asking someone that knows. I am off to "search" to find info for the questions I have related to this very subject. If someone would like to try my questions please feel free.
1) Will this 4" Superlift work on my 99' EB or is it only for older trucks?
2) Will 33" tires work or will I have to also use the TT and shackles?
3) I have a 16" wheel and plan to go to a 15" for the price, do I get an 8" or 10"?
4) Is this lift only for the front or can I get it for the back as well?
5) I am very handy myself and my dad is better, can I do this myself as easy as a body lift?

I type fast so I have to cut myself off. Sorry for taking the thread, feel free to answer any questions you guys like. Thanks.

wa4kc said:
1) Will this 4" Superlift work on my 99' EB or is it only for older trucks?
Yes, it will work.

2) Will 33" tires work or will I have to also use the TT and shackles?
33's fit on my sport, but it did require minor trimming. Specifically the front wheel wells, near the door.

3) I have a 16" wheel and plan to go to a 15" for the price, do I get an 8" or 10"?
I would go with 8inch. You could go 10, but that will require MORE trimming.

4) Is this lift only for the front or can I get it for the back as well?
The kit comes in a few different boxes. I went ahead and got the rear springs also. So yes it lifts the rear.

5) I am very handy myself and my dad is better, can I do this myself as easy as a body lift?
Not sure. It should be pretty straight forward. I had 4WP do mine while they were doing the gears and lockers.

For the question about you and your dad doing the lift...Absolutely!

It is pretty straightforward and 2 sets of hands help out alot. If you go to Superlift's website, you can get a set of instructions i believe. I think you just contact them through Email.

The front will take all the time. The rear is nothing, especially if you're getting the Superlift springs. I am cheap so I did the SOA, but it takes a little longer.

Before you start, squirt all your nuts/bolts with a penetrating fluid for a couple days in a row and everything should be ok. Air compressor hepls alot too!

Thanks guys, in just 3 easy posts you have given me a ton of information. I have been here searching for a while and have been weighing the price difference of the suspension lift versus body lift. Your trucks are examples of what I want to do with mine and welcome the help you have given. I went by the local 4 Wheel Parts store and they didn't have the same information about my Explorer as yours did. They told me they have not worked on Explorers and do not know of any lift that fits. It was a while back so I guess I may need to go again. Great board, great people, makes all the difference. Thanks.

A word on the front driveshaft.
I am running the stock shaft in the front. It seems like it could use about a 1/2" added to it. The shop where I went couldn't align and balance the shaft because of the weird joint that the Explorer uses. I can't remember the name of the joint, but it's a round sealed unit, not like a U-joint. He didn't have a way to bolt it up and insure that everything would be true and balanced.

Can anyone measure their front shaft on a 4 door Explorer? I want to see if there is any difference in the one on the Sport.

Also, does anyone know if the flange on the transfer case can be swapped to an older model that uses u-joints, like from a Ranger or 1st gen Explorer. If I have u-joints at both ends I'm in business and can have a shaft made.

I had talked to sirhk100 who works for RCD and he said that they are using a spacer on the shaft. I assume since it only needs to be a little longer that it just bolts to the transfer case and then the shaft bolts to it. He was going to get me one to try and then I never heard from him again. We were going to see if RCD would sell the spacer as a solution for all lifts. That would be alot cheaper than buying the Superlift front shaft.

Any machinests in the house want to make a spacer?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I got my superlift front driveshaft for free! :) I just had to haggle 4WP. Sorry I cant answer your other Q's, but this wil Bump it.

Back