Surprising "Excessive" *FRONT* Tire Wear - Evenly Worn, Just Losing Tread Fast..? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Surprising "Excessive" *FRONT* Tire Wear - Evenly Worn, Just Losing Tread Fast..?

Metalface

Reaction score
City, State
East Coast US
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Explorer XLT
So this is interesting and I'm hoping this is normal vs an alarming sign that something is not working properly lol, so be gentle!

Got brand new tires about 5 months ago (cheap/on sale ones though, but they were brand new.) The rear tread is barely even worn while the front have noticeably less tread than the rear. I'd say they have ~75%-50% OF the tread the rear has.
It does not look like one or both wheels are out of alignment.
The wear is not excessively inner or outer. It is perfectly even, just a lot of wear so it seems (maybe.)

I'd say these are wearing 2-3x as fast as my BFGoodrich M/T and A/T sets I've had. It's kind of nuts. Which makes me wonder if something is wrong somewhere?

The suspension parts have all been replaced within the last year, it's all new stuff, so nothing is worn out in the front or rear causing crazy tire wear from bouncing etc

The truck is never in 4WD hi or lo, just auto, and it goes up and down rural mountain hills on a daily basis.

(Brakes causing more wear in the front..? Beats me. Idk)

Tires are mud/snow tires, no, there is no cupping, it is perfectly even wear. It is just happening quick.
Brakes were redone last year, also, and they don't seem to be dragging or get hot.

Notably the tires were not balanced, any of them, but the rims had markings on them from the person I purchased them from indicating Front Right, Front Left, Rear Right, Rear Left, so we followed that assuming the front ones would be more balanced by default, and no, there is no wild vibration or even anything noticeable despite not having the wheels and tires deliberately balanced

Is this normal? Should I expect to rotate the tires every ~3 months if it's only driven 30 mins to work and 30 mins home 4 days a week, and one trip to the grocery store a week..? Haven't even taken it in the woods on these wheels and tires yet.

I put this in Stock Explorers because although it is shackle and torsion lifted and these are 31's on AR Nitro rims (nice,) I feel like if this is a known issue it will be known for, well, stock explorers, and due to the fact the suspension is not aftermarket parts, just the factory parts with mild tweaking (minus the shackles.)

Wondering if this is a sign that there's drag somewhere? Diff was looked at and rear axle bearings were replaced before the tires were changed. All should be well there. Unless this is a sign that something was done wrong lol

I'm hoping this is just a "just rotate the tires more often" answer. I hope that it isn't a sign something is dragging like maybe two bad CV axles (those are the one part that has not been replaced, though there is no signs of bad CV axle behavior neither noise or vibration. Front bearings were also done within the last year.)

Thanks for joining me in another mechanical witch hunt! Lol

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What brand and model are they?

So this is interesting and I'm hoping this is normal vs an alarming sign that something is not working properly lol, so be gentle!

Got brand new tires about 5 months ago (cheap/on sale ones though, but they were brand new.) The rear tread is barely even worn while the front have noticeably less tread than the rear. I'd say they have ~75%-50% OF the tread the rear has.
It does not look like one or both wheels are out of alignment.
The wear is not excessively inner or outer. It is perfectly even, just a lot of wear so it seems (maybe.)

I'd say these are wearing 2-3x as fast as my BFGoodrich M/T and A/T sets I've had. It's kind of nuts. Which makes me wonder if something is wrong somewhere?

The suspension parts have all been replaced within the last year, it's all new stuff, so nothing is worn out in the front or rear causing crazy tire wear from bouncing etc

The truck is never in 4WD hi or lo, just auto, and it goes up and down rural mountain hills on a daily basis.

(Brakes causing more wear in the front..? Beats me. Idk)

Tires are mud/snow tires, no, there is no cupping, it is perfectly even wear. It is just happening quick.
Brakes were redone last year, also, and they don't seem to be dragging or get hot.

Notably the tires were not balanced, any of them, but the rims had markings on them from the person I purchased them from indicating Front Right, Front Left, Rear Right, Rear Left, so we followed that assuming the front ones would be more balanced by default, and no, there is no wild vibration or even anything noticeable despite not having the wheels and tires deliberately balanced

Is this normal? Should I expect to rotate the tires every ~3 months if it's only driven 30 mins to work and 30 mins home 4 days a week, and one trip to the grocery store a week..? Haven't even taken it in the woods on these wheels and tires yet.

I put this in Stock Explorers because although it is shackle and torsion lifted and these are 31's on AR Nitro rims (nice,) I feel like if this is a known issue it will be known for, well, stock explorers, and due to the fact the suspension is not aftermarket parts, just the factory parts with mild tweaking (minus the shackles.)

Wondering if this is a sign that there's drag somewhere? Diff was looked at and rear axle bearings were replaced before the tires were changed. All should be well there. Unless this is a sign that something was done wrong lol

I'm hoping this is just a "just rotate the tires more often" answer. I hope that it isn't a sign something is dragging like maybe two bad CV axles (those are the one part that has not been replaced, though there is no signs of bad CV axle behavior neither noise or vibration. Front bearings were also done within the last year.)

Thanks for joining me in another mechanical witch hunt! Lol
What's the treadwear rating of the tires?
Also traction and temperature rating?
It could be low mileage tire.

Also, you should be checking alignment somewhat regularly. Camber could be nailed, but toe could be off. That’ll wear a tire quickly and evenly.

Chalk test time

What brand and model are they?
Goodyear Wrangler Authority A/T, got them on sale around black friday. Obviously do not compare to BFG's lol at least definitely in my personal experience.
I guess they really could just be wearing fast due to differences in compound!! Dunno. I purposely avoided reading reviews on these because they were cheap and it was all I could get at the time.
What's the treadwear rating of the tires?
Also traction and temperature rating?
It could be low mileage tire.
So I checked the sidewall and manufacturer specs, this is all I can find:

But they are marked M/S for season. And they do indeed see plenty of slush and snow as I live in a very rural area so the roads do not get plowed for a very long time (if they even do.)

Tire Specifications​

Load Rating112
Speed RatingQ100
Ply Rating6
Also, you should be checking alignment somewhat regularly. Camber could be nailed, but toe could be off. That’ll wear a tire quickly and evenly.
I check regularly! Looks all good. I checked those before posting ;)

Chalk test time
I think certainly so

For reasons I can't determine I can't edit my reply above.

Do we think running these tires at 40-50PSI could be the culprit for these particular tires?
It was never an issue with my BFG A/T and M/T sets. They wore slowly. Could be a difference in many factors though obviously
I figured these would be fairly comparable and probably wear a little bit quicker, but not this quick!

Also included a pic of the sidewall for info although I did read it five times just to be 99.9% sure I'm not a moron and leaving things out that people asked me lol

20231211_133837.jpg

Does the sidewall state 50 PSI max?

Why are you running that pressure? That’s too high. A 31” tire is close enough to stock size that you should run what’s on the door jamb sticker.

I'd run them at 45 psi too. Better mpg.

I run 45 to

Lite Truck vs Passenger. It's an "LT" tire. They generally need 10 - 12 psi more than "P" tires.

We run 42 on our BFG KO2 235/75/15's.

Damn, really? How did I not know this? Gotta pump mine up…

A tread depth gauge and track the mileage is the best way to determine if your tires are wearing at the expected rate.

This might explain it. Just because it might have great tire wear specs, sometimes they LIE.

Why are you running that pressure? That’s too high. A 31” tire is close enough to stock size that you should run what’s on the door jamb sticker.
Daily driver that is on the highway daily, 45 PSI isn't abnormal at all. At lower pressures you not only notice a difference in handling (with these tires at least) but also noticeably decreased gas mileage and the wear is uneven. At this pressure these tires wear evenly so that's why they stay there + the other reasons I already mentioned
This might explain it. Just because it might have great tire wear specs, sometimes they LIE.

This is the impression I got when I 1. saw how cheap they were and 2. Reddit tore me a new asshole saying I put "goodforayears" on my truck lol

Is this an awd truck?

You need to rotate every oil change or two oil changes

Just because alignment “looks” good does not show the actual
Numbers

Back