Suspected front differential leak

Ronin8002

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 XLT Ironman
Hey guys, just wanted to see if this problem I'm having is a common one and what exactly the cause might be:

If I get under the truck and look around, the oil pan/Diff/Starter area...it looks like I've got a significant amount of what I believe to be gear oil sprayed all over down there. The rear part of the oil pan has it on there, and the starter/area around it are coated in it. It's too sticky to be motor oil or trans fluid or something else...not sure what gear oil smells like but I think that's what it is.

Doesn't seem to be dripping fluid on the ground when the truck is parked.

What might be the cause of this? I just had the pinion seal changed out!?

Before I got to the end of your post I was thinking it was the pinion seal, but you said you just replaced it. I just replaced the pinion seal in my '06X and the symptoms were exactly like what you described. Maybe it's still leaking. I'm assuming you definitely know that it's NOT the oil pan. I had to clean the whole area a couple of times to see exactly where the oil was coming from. The oil was slinging across my oil pan, and the only place it could be from was the pinion seal.

Back