suspension differences between 05 and 07? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

suspension differences between 05 and 07?

renzAy34134

Reaction score
City, State
Fort Myers Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Explorer Eddie Bauer
I know there are no lowering kits for an 07 explorer. I have come to terms wit that one, but I was wonderin what are the diffrerences between the 05 and the 07. If i get a set of 2005 drop springs for my 07 would they fit? What kinds of modifications would I need to do? Or is this just not even worth my time.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm curious about this one as well. I do know that Ford used a different frame in the 07 Explorer, but I don't see how it could be radically different. Any ideas?

Strut's are different between -05 and 06+
not sure on spring's, but i would think their diff. Too...

Strut's are different between -05 and 06+
not sure on spring's, but i would think their diff. Too...
Just changed my rear struts (see link in my sig below) so I can confirm that the struts are at least different part numbers between the 05- and 06+ models.

Lots of pictures in the link if anyone might be able to eyeball the differences. Mine is a 2006 Limited V8 with 4x4.

I'm not sure about the rear suspension on an '05, but the '06 and up use struts and are independent rear suspension , no leaf springs. Hope it helps.

my parents have a 2004 and I have the 2007.... ive worked on theirs and looked at mine they look the same but that changes quickly when you try to match parts up.... both are ifs/irs but it stops there even the frames are different.... drive axles even pass through frame holes on the 06+.... no wiggle room to do any kind of a drop on these trucks... and I wanted a 1-2" drop on my 4wd... still strange how you can lift them just a little but cant drop at all

3rd gen's axles go through the frame too. And the two trucks have different spring rates.

BTW nice 7 year bump.

Back