Suspension lift and maintenance opinions requested | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Suspension lift and maintenance opinions requested

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaaQ

Reaction score
City, State
South KY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer XLT 4x4
Hi all, I will be replacing hubs all the way around strut assemblies BTF spacer and UCAs brakes rotors and anything else I find.

This is an 03 ex. Main question I'd like advice on would be the lower ball joints. Should I go ahead and replace them and one of the lateral links that connect to the rear end with the bad wheel bearings feels looser that the drivers side. Since they aren't terribly expensive should I go ahead and replace those as well?
And since I'll have the knuckles/spindles all off how about bushings and axle diff seals and should probly do pinion seal on rear differential as well, which leads to u joints.
Budget is a concern because I don't want to loose my tire budget.
Thanks for any input. And difficulty of the ujoints and seals are my main concerns.

Jim.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

As an afterthought, does anyone know where one could find a complete suspension bushing replacement set? as in all bushing components?

If your in there already and have the time/money I would do that. I would check rock auto for something like. It's possible no one makes a complete kit though.

[MENTION=9758]Ronin[/MENTION], any idea what thread it was with the DIY sway bar links and materials needed?

1.5" body with BTF 2.25/1.75 spacers and UCAs is what final result will be.

My 2¢ if the seals are leaking of course replace them. Ball joints if they're bad replace them. But personally once you have pulled things apart, that is the meat of the job, as you will be cleaning and applying anti-seize, subsequent repairs are going to go much faster. You will be back in there again, that's simply a fact of owning these trucks. You can blow your budget easily doing prophylactic repairs. Also u joints seldom fail. Wheel bearings fail far too frequently. YMMV

What tire size are you going with?

What tire size are you going with?
That's the undecided factor atm. I plan on keeping factory 17'' wheels. Would really like to go with General Grabbers, but only size in 17" is 33x12.5 or 35x12.5 which is wider than I want to go regardless of lift. I really like the red lettering, it would compliment the red brake calipers. But 17" sizes kill that option imo. If they did a 33x10.50 It might work, but according to their site, those are only two options for 17" wheels.

The Grabber AT 2s are a bit more inexpensive than BFG KOs so I'll probably go that route. I will might opt for 245/75/17 or the standard 265/70/17. BFG has some 34x10.50 KO2s , I personally dont want to go much over 10-11" wide on the tires. The BFG are more than double the cost of the Generals tho.
Edit 2 , The Grabbers 33x12.5 are cheaper than the BFGs even. This is pricing from Tire rack.com btw.

My 2¢ if the seals are leaking of course replace them. Ball joints if they're bad replace them. But personally once you have pulled things apart, that is the meat of the job, as you will be cleaning and applying anti-seize, subsequent repairs are going to go much faster. You will be back in there again, that's simply a fact of owning these trucks. You can blow your budget easily doing prophylactic repairs. Also u joints seldom fail. Wheel bearings fail far too frequently. YMMV

I do have a bad rear hub for sure, and the rear pinion seal has a leak, and according to dealer info a rear axle seal leak.
With the BTF UCAs I figured it would be wise to replace the lowers while its apart. I do have a cracked coil on rear drivers IIRC so chances are it may be in rough shape. The truck as a whole has 190k on it. Have had to replace one of the front hubs before, and since I got it back on the road I figured I would fix/ pr maintenance the rest of the suspension while its all opened up. The motor has approx 110k on it.
It's paid off, still drives well, and I would like to do some of the things I wanted to do to it before it was fully paid for. Plus I have the time right now, and need it to be reliable in the future. I know passengers side upper BJ is shot, so it kinda prompted me into action plus the rear wheel bearing drives me crazy, the roar it makes on the road.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back