Suspension/towing help/tips please! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Suspension/towing help/tips please!

Thatoneguy94

Reaction score
City, State
San Antonio, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 ford explorer 4.0
I have a 98 limited edition 4.0 explorer, my first vehicle so pretty attached and don't want to sell.
I need something to pull my other car around to events. I'm sure the 4.0 can handle towing 5k lbs but I know for a fact suspension will sag once I put the trailer on. The truck already has the air ride deleted(still have everything for it) and everything is oem.
So before I start going blindly buying parts, anyone have some pointers or suggestions on what to invest in?

Would like to stay stock height, if any just +or- 1-2 inches
Don't mind a stiff ride
Truck has a lot of roll also looking for something to reduce that.

I know lower the better when it comes to roll and cages/strut bars ect.. But not too sure if lowering will be an option if I wanna pull a trailer.

And also in search of tow hitch support. Also what else will I need to attach trailer in regards of electrical?

Thanks for any responses!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

well as soon as you invest in the suspension, the trans will not hold up to towing a vehicle and will overheat...i don't know right off hand if there is a better trans or if you can have one built but i know the stock transmission wont like the pressure being put on it

well as soon as you invest in the suspension, the trans will not hold up to towing a vehicle and will overheat...i don't know right off hand if there is a better trans or if you can have one built but i know the stock transmission wont like the pressure being put on it

Thanks I'll look into that too

No neglected transmission will "hold up" for everyday driving, much less towing.
Your 5R55E issues are due to the lack of maintenance by the previous owner.
serious trans problems

Alright i have done some reading and would like to get someone's take on what i might be facing, just the other night i was coming back home from a mud bog (didnt put the truck in) but my 97 xlt explorer was driving fine until i noticed rpms way to high for going 55-60 mph... so this is what i got for conditions

I have burnt fluid trans slipping so bad that i lose everything (like it was in neutral) od light flashing

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=414108

No neglected transmission will "hold up" for everyday driving, much less towing.

Thanks for the response.

Transmission cooler would be a safer route for just in case measures then, right? Or do you think there is no need?

Your vehicle already has a small factory installed cooler behind the grill. Upgrading to a larger or secondary cooler such as a B&M can only help. Don't exceed towing capacity, and always leave O/D off when towing. Use the "severe duty" maintenance schedule.

Transmission Cooling Description and Operation
http://www.scribd.com/doc/239549598/Transmission-Cooling-Description-and-Operation

If you're going to tow 5k lbs, pay strict attention to that advice. Keep it out of overdrive.

Thanks for all the replies.

Definitely keeping everything y'all said in mind.

But as far as a suspension set up that would meet my intentions, how would y'all go about that? Not too familiar with truck suspension.

I am aware of how the suspension works for my car though, coilover, arms, knuckles, solid bushings, ect... Upgrading Knuckles and arms I know are more related to harsh steering conditions and such. Will it be necessary for me to change it out to tow?

Check out the Monroe SensaTrac 58617 rear load adjust shocks. They have very positive reviews and cost less than $100 pr. Here's one of many threads. Do a search, you'll see.
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=383353
http://www.amazon.com/Monroe-58617-Sensa-Trac-Adjusting-Absorber/dp/B000C53RXK

The EE rear anti sway bar will virtually eliminate body roll and stabilize your vehicle when towing and in high crosswinds. Highly recommended providing your tires and shocks are also upgraded. Search, again.
http://www.explorerexpress.com/swaybars-9803-explorer-sport-xspec-sway-rear-p-575.html

Check out the Monroe SensaTrac 58617 rear load adjust shocks. They have very positive reviews and cost less than $100 pr. Here's one of many threads. Do a search, you'll see.
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=383353
http://www.amazon.com/Monroe-58617-Sensa-Trac-Adjusting-Absorber/dp/B000C53RXK

Ditto on the Monroe info. I went with Sensatrac 37122's on the front and 58617 coil overs on the rear. Fixed my ass sag problem and great handling all around. Also did the mysterious anti-sway rear stabilizer fifth shock. Helped with roll a lot. I do have a hidden hitch mounted and the trailer tow package came when I purchased truck new, but I seldom tow. Maybe just yank a buddy's boat out of the water and pull some jet skis a few times a year.

alright well i am learning about these and have heard some stories and problems myself with the transmission on my explorer

i also have the Monroe SensaTrac coil overs on the rear of my explorer as well and i havent had a problem with them, stiffens up the rear! forgot i had them...
i believe they cost me a little over 70 bucks for the pair at O'Reillys

you are correct, im in the middle of fixing my trans...

Thanks for all the responses!

I understand no one like to spoon feed info to people on forums, so I'll definitely check out other threads and such.

Appreciate the recommendations.

So basically...
Change to coilovers
Replace shocks
Add 5th sway stabalizer shock

So Is it necessary to change knuckles, arms, ect?
Also if I'm missing something I'd appreciate if someone can let me know.

Thanks again!

You can also use a load leveling hitch/sway set up. This helps the trailer from swaying and shifts some of the load to the front on the truck helping it to balance out. It used to pick up my F350 about 2 inches when I had a toy hauler.

And wire in some trailer brakes.

Back