• Register Today It's free!

SVO Mustang....... daily driver?

Mbrooks420

High Voltage.
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Mountaineer AWD
I’m at the point where I’ve been driving 5.0 Mounties for about 15 years. (2, both identical except interior color, and built within weeks of each other) and have been thinking it’s time to buy an even more ridiculous car. I’ve been on the hunt for a few different cars, near the top of the list are 67-68 Mustangs, the 500SEL Mercedes, and just recently I’ve been drooling over SVO Mustangs. I’ve always been a fan of small displacement, and I like the idea of a factory turbo car. I’m sure at this point it’d need some cash dumped into it to make it daily worthy, but I can get into an 86 with around 80k for under 10,000.

Sooooooo. Is this a stupid idea? Are the 2.3s known for any problematic areas? I’d probably look for the 5 speed.

The other option is a brand new Kia. I’ve never had a new car, and a 100,000 mile warranty does give that warm and fuzzy feeling. But...... you know. It’s not cool.

Thoughts?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That amount for a low mileage SVO sounds steep to me. I do like SVO Mustangs though. Foxbodies with the 5.0 around me are low priced... if you can find a decent one.

Clean, with no rust and not being molested, it’s on par. Asking price on the one I was looking at was 8,000. Needs no paint work, interior is 9/10, and the bottom has almost zero rust.

Probably going to end up with a Kia. Can get into a new one for about 250 a month.

I'd love an SVO Mustang, as a Mustang fanatic myself. There are a couple that come to my Mustang club's events that are slightly hopped up and sound really nice and look great.

Back