svt explorer tremor concept | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

svt explorer tremor concept

That there would've been Ford's answer the the Grand Cherokee SRT8... it's gorgeous.. and better looking than the 3rd Gen... I would've bought one of them no questions asked...

Si

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Looks like a 3rd gen and 2nd gen mashed together, in an extremely pleasing way.

You know what I mean.

That there would've been Ford's answer the the Grand Cherokee SRT8... it's gorgeous.. and better looking than the 3rd Gen... I would've bought one of them no questions asked...

Si

After owning a 3rd gen, I do agree that the Tremor looks A LOT better then the 3rd gen. That front end REALLY pops.

would like to see the rear gate also. after reading the motortrend article again it says the reargate had a different angle than normal. everything about this ex scream we want it. this may have been a miscalculation on fords part. i wonder if motortrend would have more pics of this they could share. or even ford motor company archives. if i knew how to i would contact the archives dept for more in depth photos and maybe ask is this in a ford mueseum somewhere or what

would like to see the rear gate also. after reading the motortrend article again it says the reargate had a different angle than normal. everything about this ex scream we want it. this may have been a miscalculation on fords part. i wonder if motortrend would have more pics of this they could share. or even ford motor company archives. if i knew how to i would contact the archives dept for more in depth photos and maybe ask is this in a ford mueseum somewhere or what
That would be pretty cool. We're all dying for more pics.

This:

tremor.jpg

Was the prototype of this:

02explorer_red.jpg

4.6 engine, independent rear suspension, exhaust on the other side, etc, larger tires (though 19" is way bigger than any Explorer to date).

I look at that and then a 4th gen, I see the inspiration! That concept is ssssoooooo cool!

While I have known about this vehicle for a long time, it wasnt until recently that I really began digging into it and getting more info.

First of all, this particular vehicle started life as a fully loaded 1996 Black Limited. While i do not know the exact VIN, i have a short lsit of suspect vin numbers it might have been. the Ford New Concepts program in Dearborn began this project early in 1996 for the only need as having a show vehicle for the 1997 Detroit Auto Show. David Villecky, (at the time) director of the program, oversaw it's development. I know this because I have spoken with Mr. Villecky personally about this particular vehicle (and his other creation, the Ford Indigo concept car from the year prior).

The stock frame was modified from the third rear crossmember back. New boxed c-sections were pressed brake into new frame rails and mounts were created for the thunderbird IRS subframe. It was designed to be removed from the vehicle if so needed (not welded in). the rest of the stock frame was boxed all the way foward to the transmission crossmember. The rear body shell was raised slightly because of this, thus the cargo floor is slightly higher in the rear. The stock interior was changed to the (new for 97) Prairie Tan color and 4 bucket seats were fitted (the rear seats did still fold down). it did have a floor shifter (automatic) from a Mark VIII and a full length center console from the dash to the rear seats (retained a stock second gen front arm rest, but otherwise was a custom one-off peice). It had memory seats and digital HVAC with silver backed gauges. It did have a tan steering wheel (exactly like a 95-97 limited).

The engine bay was modified as well, as several stock explorer parts were rerouted and moved to different locations (charcaol canister, abs module, relay boxes, overflow tanks, washer resevoir, hood hinges and struts). The hvac case and accumulator were one-offs. the metal cowl was removed and replaced with a custom metal cowl that accomedated the carbon fiber hood.

Sadly, the engine did suffer a valve failure while being driven by journalists in Dearborn around april 1997. Since there was only the one prototype 4.6 5V, the entire truck was scrapped and destroyed instead of rebuilt. Mr. Villecky did confirm this with me.

Back