Swapped transmission > speedo is off | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Swapped transmission > speedo is off

NIP

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Renesse, ZLD, The Netherlands
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Explorer Sport
Hey guys & girls, need som help.

I had my transmission swapped and now my speed is off by about 10% (shows . The shop has no clue (i live in Europe so this car is not very common).
Indicator shows 62 mph, real speed is 53mph.
Any advice?

2015 Explorer Sport

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey guys & girls, need som help.

I had my transmission swapped and now my speed is off by about 10% (shows . The shop has no clue (i live in Europe so this car is not very common).
Indicator shows 62 mph, real speed is 53mph.
Any advice?

2015 Explorer Sport
Was it swapped with an identical OEM transmission and from a 2015 Sport? If not, then perhaps the following may shed some light on the issue.

Peter

Was it swapped with an identical OEM transmission and from a 2015 Sport? If not, then perhaps the following may shed some light on the issue.

Peter
Thanks Peter. It was swapped with a 2014 unit. No info on Sport or other trim. The article you referred to is about another type of transmission and from another era. I can't determine at this point where a 2015 Expy Sport gets its speed signal from. Nothing else was touched so the problem must be the new rebuild transmission. Just what part was left from the swap unit? Difference is closer to 20% than the earlier reported 10%.

There are multiple different gear ratios for those transmissions. I know there is 3.16, 3.36, 3.39 and 3.65 final drive ratios. You need the ID tag off the transmission to figure out the gear ratio and you'll need the vin number from the truck it came from to get the as-built data so you can change yours to match. It's going to be fun but it is possible.

There are multiple different gear ratios for those transmissions. I know there is 3.16, 3.36, 3.39 and 3.65 final drive ratios. You need the ID tag off the transmission to figure out the gear ratio and you'll need the vin number from the truck it came from to get the as-built data so you can change yours to match. It's going to be fun but it is possible.

Oh boy.
I thought there was time to win to get a swap unit, have it rebuild in the shop, ready voor installing. So the swap itself would cost me less down-time of the car. Most shockproof path to go seems to reverse the operation and rebuild the original transmission. Lots of money thrown out the window but that was my risk to start with the way i did.

That or swap the final drive drive gears between the two.

Then there's the option to download forscan, change the as-built data in the abs module or whatever the speedo signal comes from. I'm only guessing as it could transmission or pcm programming then using forscan gets limited. Less physical work more headache type work option.

3.16 For Sport and Platinum (6F55)
3.39 NA Explorer FWD (6F50)
3.65 NA Explorer AWD (6F50) / (6F55 Class III Trailer Tow Package)

3.36 / 3.51 Only Ford 4Cyl EcoBoost (6F35)

(6F55 Heavy Duty Transmission)
(6F50 Std Transmission)
(6F35 Only 4Cyl)

Back