Swapping Explorer Stereo | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

BrassMonkey

Reaction score
City, State
Stayton, Oregon
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 Explorer XLT
I bought a 2012 Explorer last month. It was a government vehicle, so it’s as base model as it can get. I am wanting to see if there’s a way to put a standard single/double din stereo in, because it does not have sync, usb or navigation. Is there a dash kit I could get to integrate a standard stereo? If not, would I be able to get a stereo from a junk yard that has sync and use that?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I bought a 2012 Explorer last month. It was a government vehicle, so it’s as base model as it can get. I am wanting to see if there’s a way to put a standard single/double din stereo in, because it does not have sync, usb or navigation. Is there a dash kit I could get to integrate a standard stereo? If not, would I be able to get a stereo from a junk yard that has sync and use that?
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
I believe adding sync requires both hardware and software additions/changes. Not sure if the following thread may help.

Peter

I don’t have the funds to do this at the moment, but I definitely plan on it in the near future. This forum was very helpful. When I decide to do it I will post a picture of how it turns out as well as how the install goes. Help on base stereo upgrade

I wouldn’t bother with Sync. It’s buggy and generally not well received compared to what’s available aftermarket.

That other thread linked has some sketchy info. Don’t “glue” speakers in place instead of buying the correct adapters. If you don’t properly separate the front and rear of the speaker you are throwing your money away.

You can add a subwoofer to ANY system using a line out converter. I’m not sure what they mean by “pigtail” in that other thread. Reads a lot like people not having any real clue what they are talking about.

Don’t buy one of those big, all encompassing “Tesla” style head units. They are expensive and garbage built. They can’t possibly sell enough of them to build a quality vetted product.

That other thread linked has some sketchy info. Don’t “glue” speakers in place instead of buying the correct adapters. If you don’t properly separate the front and rear of the speaker you are throwing your money away.

You can add a subwoofer to ANY system using a line out converter. I’m not sure what they mean by “pigtail” in that other thread. Reads a lot like people not having any real clue what they are talking about.

Don’t buy one of those big, all encompassing “Tesla” style head units. They are expensive and garbage built. They can’t possibly sell enough of them to build a quality vetted product.
I thought the same thing. I do not plan on going new speakers, all I want to do is swap the head unit so that I can have Bluetooth and navigation. I am either going to use the metra dash kit or cut the old controls out and use acrylic to do a cheaper “diy” dash.

How much is the metra kit? I’d pass on the custom dash unless you’ve got some real resin skills.

How much is the metra kit? I’d pass on the custom dash unless you’ve got some real resin skills.
On top of that, Crutchfield has sketchy reviews on the quality. People having defective units having to redo. Ouch.

On top of that, Crutchfield has sketchy reviews on the quality. People having defective units having to redo. Ouch.
I have done some resin and fiberglass work so I think something custom wouldn’t look too bad, but if I could get my hands on a dash kit that’s what I would prefer. Metra has pretty good warranties and customer service so I wouldn’t feel too bad about getting one of them. I would like to get the 99-5847CH but that line was discontinued. It has better reviews and looks better in my opinion.

that? Whew, that’s spendy. I’d buy a gallon of resin and another stock bezel from eBay, and get to work.

that? Whew, that’s spendy. I’d buy a gallon of resin and another stock bezel from eBay, and get to work.
Agreed. That’s quite possibly the route I’m going to take

Back