Swapping out AWD for Low gear in a 4406! | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Swapping out AWD for Low gear in a 4406!

Ok I've either picked up or ordered all the parts to swap in a BW4406 into my '96 XLT. I put the sport tank in today (I'll get a few pics tomorrow), which took way longer than I had planned on. Tomorrow I'll get the new front d-shaft preped and ready for the swap. After that I'ts all about waiting on the mail man :D for my 4406 (32,000 mile for $210 ;) ), and the rear D-shaft. Hopefully the rear one is less rusted than the front otherwise it'll be another hour of grinding off rust :confused: I'll keep this updated as I go with some pics for everyone.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

[QUOTE='97 V8]Yeah. My case is from a 97 f-150. Im thinking it fell off or slipped out or something. You see, inside where the tone ring is supposed to be, i dont have anything. Its smooth.[/QUOTE]

Hm, that's weird. When you feel in side there is their some kind of grove for c-clips or anything? If not I'd be willing to bet it needs to be pressed on otherwise how would it stay on? Hope you get that figured out, no speedo would really be annoying. I just finished wireing it up, and I'm thinking about getting an Autozone boot just to finish the job. Besides I realized today the one from Ford cost me $38, and I'm pretty sure I can find one cheaper than that.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Do you have the part numbers for the parts from ford?

Edit: Found the parts in the other thread NVM

So far so good. I love having the manual t/c. Gas mileage is better, but by how much I havn't ran a ful tank through yet. I havn't noticed a huge power increase, but I do notice that I get up to speed faster. I'm still debating putting the original tank back in since I now know it'll fit. Oh and I can burn em on pavement now too! I don't much since I've got Baja Claws on :D

You said you wired up your 4x4 lights?
Did you go to the GEM module in your 96 with the wires?

97V8 you gotta get that tail housing off man! your output shaft has to be setup for the drive gear, you should order the 7 tooth drive gear from Ford or aftermarket before you drop the tailhousing....

I am loving this 4x4
low range is a monster

Its raining/snowing here and I almost got her sideways (like the BII) punching it around a corner, that was a new feeling in the Ex!

410Fortune said:
You said you wired up your 4x4 lights?
Did you go to the GEM module in your 96 with the wires?

97V8 you gotta get that tail housing off man! your output shaft has to be setup for the drive gear, you should order the 7 tooth drive gear from Ford or aftermarket before you drop the tailhousing....

I am loving this 4x4
low range is a monster

Its raining/snowing here and I almost got her sideways (like the BII) punching it around a corner, that was a new feeling in the Ex!
Yep, I wired it strait to the wires going to the lights in the dash just like mountaineergree's guide. I didn't care about both lights being on in low, so I didn't bother with the relay.

sweetness thanks!

AMMO_HOOAH said:
Yep, I wired it strait to the wires going to the lights in the dash just like mountaineergree's guide. I didn't care about both lights being on in low, so I didn't bother with the relay.

Good to know that the wiring works for the 97-98's as well.

To clarify, the case you got came from a 97 F150 and it had the gear in the case for your speedo? I wonder why 97V8's case didnt have it, or if there is a difference in them.

I am going to try to gather all the info on cases for the pre 99 models to add to my thread.

mountaineergree said:
Good to know that the wiring works for the 97-98's as well.

To clarify, the case you got came from a 97 F150 and it had the gear in the case for your speedo? I wonder why 97V8's case didnt have it, or if there is a difference in them.

I am going to try to gather all the info on cases for the pre 99 models to add to my thread.
Ya it worked great infact the wire colors were the exact same. Good luck with figureing out the differances in years. People have had enough trouble figuring out which ones will fit!. They told me the case came off a 98, but weren't sure, heck they weren't even sure if it was a 4406 when I bought it, it only had 37000 miles and was $200 so I'm happy.

I think the 4x4 wires in my 88 BII are the same colors, some things they never change.
MY BII doesnt really have a Gem module, back then they called it the 4x4 shift computer, but its a real early version of what became the GEM.

Back