Swapping out AWD for Low gear in a 4406! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Swapping out AWD for Low gear in a 4406!

Ok I've either picked up or ordered all the parts to swap in a BW4406 into my '96 XLT. I put the sport tank in today (I'll get a few pics tomorrow), which took way longer than I had planned on. Tomorrow I'll get the new front d-shaft preped and ready for the swap. After that I'ts all about waiting on the mail man :D for my 4406 (32,000 mile for $210 ;) ), and the rear D-shaft. Hopefully the rear one is less rusted than the front otherwise it'll be another hour of grinding off rust :confused: I'll keep this updated as I go with some pics for everyone.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The T/C didn't end up getting to my house in time, so it's going to have to wait until I get back from vacation. I'll post more when I get home.

dont forget to pull your center console so you can access the top T case bolts

I agree with removing the console for access to the top 2 bolts of the TC. There is only about 1,000 screws in the console itself...... :rolleyes:

You are definatly correct about the consol, when I put in a replacement the last time I found that little plate a little too late. I'm putting in a manual shift anyway, so I'm going to have to fabricate some sort of shifter to go in place of it anyway. I hope the rear d-shaft is less rusty than the front otherwise I'll have another hour of grinding it all off :( anyway I'll keep this post up to date with my progress although there wont be much until after the 25th.

have fun once its one you will love it. I know I sure do. and the seat of the pants dyno likes it too

pgdsm, did you put in the manual or electric? If you went with the manual, how did you end up doiing the shifter?

Ok back from vacation, but the swap is still kinda on hold, I've gotten all the parts, save the shifter which I'm still not sure on how to do that. I need to know how to clean OUT a transfer case too. The one from the yard seems to have sand in it! Can I hot tank it? or should i just get some cheap throw away gear oil and fill it, drain it, repeat? Also how much slack in the chain is bad in 4 LO I can turn the front d-shaft flange like 1/4" is that really bad? Thanks for the input.

Sorry for the long hiatus, but got cought up with a divorce in the middle of this. Anyway I'm back at it just ordered the shifter/ linkage from ford should be here next week. Tomorrow the t/c goes in (pending any bad snags). I'll keep this up as we see how everything works out.

That sucks..but your in Florida :p Make sure you disconnect the battery first before getting the console out. You will be cutting on the sid of the tranny hump in front of the seat. The best thing to do is to get the linkage installed then eye ball where the shifter stick will come out and cut where it would be.

The new t/c is in and working great. I'm waiting on Ford for the shifter parts, so if I want to weel this weekend I guess I'll have to get under the truck :D . Would have only taken me two hours except I spent an hour beating the old one off until I realized that the stupid rod bolt (not the ones to the tranny I'm not that stupid :p ) was still there. Took that off and viola! Slid right off...... I'll get back to this when I get the shifter installed.

that support rod comes off right? because isnt that where the new shifter bolts too?

Nice work! I have not mocked mine up yet

Yes it comes off there are two over sized bolts holding in on. As far as bolting the sifter to I'm not sure yet probably now that you mention it, but i'll see when I actuall get my parts in hopefully later today. I also have to figure out how far off my speedo is, so I can get the right gear (my t/c had the correct vss hole for my stock one, but F-150 t/c+exp vss gear+exp rear end+31" tires=WAY THE HELL OFF!!!)

so your speedo works?

97 V8 the parts I am having shipped to me are from a 97 Exped, the tail housing had the same speed sensor yours did AND the plastic gear inside on the output shaft to drive it. The junk yard was able to slid the gear off the output shaft and send it to me.

[QUOTE='97 V8]so your speedo works?[/QUOTE]

Yes, with the exception that it's way off right now, but all I have to do is figure out by how much and I can get the gear to correct it.

Ok got the shifter all mounted up and working. The only thing I'm waiting on is the boot (didn't come in today). Heres a pic of it so far. Oh and yes I went out right after that! :D
photo100606001ds4.jpg

okay im really tweeked on why your speedo somewhat works. First thing i do when i get home is dropping my tank and removing the tailshaft. How hard is it to get the gear on? Slightly hammer it in or do i need a press?

[QUOTE='97 V8]okay im really tweeked on why your speedo somewhat works. First thing i do when i get home is dropping my tank and removing the tailshaft. How hard is it to get the gear on? Slightly hammer it in or do i need a press?[/QUOTE]

woooooo! Ok first my my T/C came from a 98 which ALREADY had the gears in place. All I did was take my old vss off my old t/c and put it in the new t/c. Same location for both, same vss on both vehicles. As for the gear, I'm talking about the one on the vss, and it simply has a keeper clip through the bottem of it. All you have to do is pull that clip slid off the old gear slid on the new and clip it back on. If your having to do anything that requires you to remove the tail housing I can't really help you unless your vss hole is already there. Then I'm not sure why yours wouldn't work anyway....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yeah. My case is from a 97 f-150. Im thinking it fell off or slipped out or something. You see, inside where the tone ring is supposed to be, i dont have anything. Its smooth.

Back