Swapping out steering wheel ... question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Swapping out steering wheel ... question

Joe_R

Reaction score
City, State
delaware
Year, Model & Trim Level
2K2 XLT
I've got an 02 XLT with the std. rubber steering wheel. It has the cruise control buttons only.
I'm planning on swapping it out with a factory leather wrapped wheel from a Mountineer. It has the cruise control, climate control and audio buttons on it.
I know the cruise control will work. If the audio does, fine, but I'm swapping out my head unit soon anyway. How about the climate control? I have the std. knob control so I figured for the steering wheel controls to work, you'd need an automatic climate control unit. Is this correct?
Anyone else ever do this?
Oh., andy other tips in the removal? I did a search and belive I found how to remove it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've done it, and my steering wheels climate controls don't do anything. I'm pretty sure you'd have to have the digital climate controls for it to work. There's a thing you can buy to make the audio controls work with an aftermarket HU, but I haven't tried it yet.

You need a gear puller and a T50 star bit to get the wheel off. It only takes about five minutes to swap them.

great, thanks

EricM said:
I've done it, and my steering wheels climate controls don't do anything. I'm pretty sure you'd have to have the digital climate controls for it to work. There's a thing you can buy to make the audio controls work with an aftermarket HU, but I haven't tried it yet.

You need a gear puller and a T50 star bit to get the wheel off. It only takes about five minutes to swap them.

So - did you have any issue with the airbag system from a different year? Some of the other threads seem to indicate this. I'm looking to replace my 97 wheel without the audio controls with one that has audio controls from 98 or later.

Hello? still looking for answer.....

I bought a 98 wheel with audio controls to replace my 97 wheel without audio controls. The 98 wheel didn't come with an airbag, and I doubt my current airbag will work. Anyone done this before? If I spend the bucks for a 98 airbag and cover, can I get it to work with my carputer?

And the alternative - even if I don't replace the airbag, anyone know how I can get rid of the gaping hole in the middle of the wheel?

You will need to have the high end radio, electronic AC, and the wires between them.
Good luck,
DW

Thanks DW, but that part I knew ;) The electronics part will work.

What I'm looking for now is the airbag component which is different between the two wheels - or a way to fill in the hole left by the absence of an airbag....(forgetting about safety for a moment.... :eek: )

I learned recently that there is a difference between 95-97 airbags, versus the 98-01 airbags.
I bought a standard 97 airbag for a 93 Limited, and now I just need a standard 95-01 steering wheel. My airbag doesn't need to be functional.

Ask some of the venders who sell airbags. I would bet that it will work, and you may just have to match the electrical connection. Good luck,
DW :)

Back