• Register Today It's free!

Sway bar links with lift

Kopykat

Reaction score
City, State
Manitoba
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 ranger. 06 ex ltd
I've got the 2.5" lift spacers on my 06 and replacing the front sway bar links on the front is getting old. I seem to have to replace them every year now. The link bushings get hammered and no longer clamp to the bar or the lower arms.

Are there longer links that can be used? F150 maybe? The bushings never seem to sit flat, and are always distorted at an angle.

I went to tighten the links the other day and broke both of the bolts. Threaded rod is now used so I can still drive it.

In the past I've replaced them with the Moog replacements. My next step is to get longer bolts and a longer sleeve.

Just want to know if there are any better options out there.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm certain you've seen Mountaineer Green's thread, but just in case. If you're building from scratch, the oversize ES 9.8103 bushings are MUCH more durable and use stronger 7/16" hardware. Bulletproof, but you'll need to source the longer high grade bolts, center sleeves, and 1.25" washers. Check Fastenal, McMaster-Carr, Bolt Depot, Grainger, etc.

2nd Gen "Custom" Anti Sway Bar Links, Cheap! | Ford Explorer and Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/index.php?threads/shorter-end-links-front.439822/#post-3500443

Here is what i found. 2000-2002 ford taurus rear swaybar links are about 1/2" longer and fit perfect. The angle the bushings sit on the bar eyes is managable. The moog links i got were solid one piece. Not the bolt and sleeve style. Moog #K3124.

Just wondering if any one has looked at the end links for a 2003 Dodge 1500 4x4. Right now I'm at the same point with breaking end links due to my lift kit too. I have been doing lots of searching and found the Dodge ones are made with a ball joint at the end that connects to the a-arm which would help with the explorer lift kit because the angle of the a-arm has changed. Plus the other bonus to these Dodge sway bar links are an inch longer which in turn will make the connection at the sway bar a better angle too. Now this is just a bunch of different theories I have come up with on this problem of the sway bar end links, I know is might sound weird installing Dodge parts on a Ford but if it works why not.

I bought some Taurus end links today. They appear to be about 1" longer, but equally robust as the Ex's. I only need about 1/2" but they seem to be easily modified. Lifetime warranty included on duralast part!

Im only doing the rear because I took the front one off completly.

I bought some Taurus end links today. They appear to be about 1" longer, but equally robust as the Ex's. I only need about 1/2" but they seem to be easily modified. Lifetime warranty included on duralast part!

Im only doing the rear because I took the front one off completly.

You don't have sway bar links on the front?

Only on the freeway going 75 climbing mountains do I notice it missing. I removed it and put in the back yard. Maybe if I had a trailer...

Back