• Register Today It's free!

Sway Bar Links

not8taxi

Reaction score
City, State
queens, ny
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 XLT
i have installed on my ex the eibach sway bar kit...In the begining of the year i had to replace my sway bar link bushings because the eibach bushings that came with the kit were worn down and the links were loose...

As of yesterday i have the same problem and my links are loose again...my ex is lowered on ground force springs so i dont know if this is the reason that they keep breaking/become loose...i was just going to get new links but not sure if i should get the moog or the raysbestos...any input would be appreciated thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I put Moog links on my ex 2 weeks ago, I'm happy with them so far, but it's too early to tell if they will last. The seem like they will be fine....

my main concern is the bushings...do they look good?...stupid question but the eibach bushings that came with the links were the size of a quarter...thanks for the quick response

Moog uses larger 7/16" bolts compared to 3/8" of all the other aftermarket end link kit manufacturers. The thermoplastic rubber bushings that Moog uses are the problem. Too soft and they blow out, quick. Use the K7275 kits and upgrade to the Energy Suspension 9.8103 poly bushings. (Oversized) You may have to shave the bushing nipples OD down from 7/8" to 11/16" to properly fit in the front sway bar and LCA. I had gone through three sets of the blue Moog bushings in 2 years. Completed project this weekend and exceeded all expectation.

I've read about Moogs blue bushings being a problem. I'll order the energy suspension bushings and swap those out when I put my spacer lift on since I'll have it all apart anyway. But the blue bushings seem decent enough to last for the time being. Here's the picture of the new/old links I replaced:

photo1-3.jpg

Hope it helps you out.

thanks for quick response guys....pics would def be good...really appreciate it :thumbsup:

Moog uses larger 7/16" bolts compared to 3/8" of all the other aftermarket end link kit manufacturers.
The thermoplastic rubber bushings that Moog uses are the problem. Too soft and they blow out, quick.
Use the Moog K7275 kits and upgrade to the Energy Suspension 9.8103 poly bushings. (Oversized)
You may have to shave the bushing nipples OD down from 7/8" to 11/16" to properly fit in the front sway bar and LCA.
I had gone through three sets of the blue Moog bushings in 2 years. Completed project this weekend and exceeded all expectation.

Can email pics if you would like. GL

yea that would be helpful...email is not8taxi@gmail.com thanks

Had my Ex up on the lift yesterday and found my brand new 2-week old Moog links like this:

photo1-4.jpg

It's the same on both sides. I didn't overtighten them..... Is this just the sh**ty rubber bushings or is there something else going on?

I have had my Eibachs on for almost 4 years and they are still good. I had thought about cutting the sleeves down and getting shorter bolts. You may try doing that.

Pictures using Energy Suspension 9.8103 or Prothane 19426 polyurethane bushings with 7/16" hardware from the Moog K7275 end link kit. The ES bushings have 7/8" outer nipples. Reduce with a grinder wheel or flat file. My front sway bar eyelets and holes in the LCA's were 11/16". K7275 bushing nipples are undersized at 5/8". I drilled the flat washers from the red ES 9.8105R kit I was using before from 3/8" to 7/16". By comparison these poly bushings can be tightened to the 18-21 ft/lb. factory spec without crushing. The soft blue thermoplastic rubber bushings contributed to three failures in two years. These custom end links are holding up well with no signs of wear. Red bushings shown below are 3/8" I.D. (9.8105R) and MUCH smaller by comparison. If you want to tighten up the feel of your front end this may be the best bang for the buck mod out there.

UPDATE 9/16/22
More than ten years later the ES poly bushings are holding up well. Original pics shown.
ImSlRk6.jpg
SVxQelk.jpg

UnZQgkU.jpg
YsNibTS.jpg

Old post I know ... but thanks for posting!

My 98 Sport ate two sets of standard bushings.

Upgraded to Moog about a year ago. Had to pull a radical drifting manuever to avoid killing a few of us .... some oldster made a left turn in my path as I was going 60 mph ... had to pitch the Ex hard left, in smoke, on the gas, and cut left two whole lanes. I have done precision driving in movies, and have NEVER been so scared, this was the real deal. I'll do this in a car anytime ... I was only 50% sure I was making it this time. Praying the whole time ..."don't grab...."

Huge victory dance and fist pumps, cleared by inches. I actually aimed for where their rear tire was when they started, counting on that it wouldn't be there by the time I arrived. If I would have had a passenger, pretty sure a trip to the ER would have been next to restart their heart. Don't think I could have sat through it myself.

Pretty sure that is what made my Moog bushings look like popcorn .... :D

Going to upgrade again.

Pictures using ES 9.8103G polyurethane bushings with the 7/16" Moog hardware. The ES bushings have 7/8" outer nipples. Reduce using a drill/press and a flat file. My eyelets and LCA's were 11/16". Moog K7275 bushing nipples are undersized at 5/8". By comparison these poly bushings can be tightened to the 18-21 ft/lb. factory spec without crushing. The soft blue Moog thermoplastic rubber bushings contributed to three failures. Many years later, these are holding up well with no signs of wear. Red bushings are 3/8" I.D. (9.8105R). MUCH smaller and weaker by comparison. Huge difference.

Reposted blank Photof***it "third party" pics 8/11/17. More than six years later, and the ES poly bushings are still doing well.

ImSlRk6.jpg
SVxQelk.jpg

UnZQgkU.jpg
YsNibTS.jpg

Thanks for the detailed pictures and part numbers. I went through the end link assembly in 2007 with my Mercury. I bought the 1.5" sway bar from Addco, and an end link kit from ES. The hardware from Addco is typically poor. I mixed and matched the best/largest components to fit my vehicle. The Addco frame brackets were very bad, the bolts would have broken if I fully tightened them. I had to have two proper brackets made by a machine shop, which they made very well, two pairs for about $30 IIRC.

Some OEM Ford blue end link bushings are very good, urethane, from early 90's Mustangs. I have those on my 91 Lincoln, and they are close to the same large size as the ES pieces. Ford might sell those still.

I picked up the moog links with white bushings from the local parts house.
They pulled the washers right through the bushings with fairly light use.
Im going to try the ES bushings
20171217_171400.jpg

Back