Post lift problems - Sway bar links gone and c/v boot rubbing | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Post lift problems - Sway bar links gone and c/v boot rubbing

XtremeRanger

Reaction score
City, State
Columbus, Ga
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 Ranger XLT
So, post lift problems......it's happened once while stock height. But this time BOTH of my way bar links are GONE!!!! I even double nutted them! Anybody know a part number of maybe 1 " longer sway bar links?

Second problem. The front C/V axle boots are rubbing the top of the bottom control arm and slinging grease Any fix for this besides hacking out that section of the control arms?
20150718_123827.jpg

20150718_123714.jpg

20150718_123700.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Wow, I hope those pics are with the truck jacked up and not sitting on the ground....CV angles look a little steep. What size spacers are those? I don't think it would really hurt anything to get a grinder and cut a little clearance in the lower control arms for the CV boots, just don't go crazy. The only alternative is to put in smaller lift spacers or not run them at all.

There's no longer swaybar link "kit", but it's not hard to make a set of your own, like these. I did it on my 2004 and it worked great:

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=194211

Yeah it was jacked up and I was under it lol

Its the BTF lift, so I wasnt expecting any problems.
20150721_143545.jpg

More pics...
20150721_143611.jpg

20150721_143617.jpg

20150721_143758.jpg

20150721_143802.jpg

20150721_1440010.jpg

20150721_144001.jpg

If it sits flat, it doesnt touch. but i guess moving down the road it moves and makes contact. I think ima try to heat the part of the arm up and beat it down with a hammer.

I did make my own Links today. thanks for the link! I need to remove one of the bottom nuts and shorten the allthread up a bit.....and smack the threads so the nuts wont come off!
20150721_152759_1.jpg

20150721_152804_1.jpg

20150721_161742.jpg

20150721_161802.jpg

i noticed another possible problem today. it looks like the top point of the knuckle is hitting the spring...?
20150721_161749.jpg

20150721_161754.jpg

Glad the swaybar link tip helped!

It does make sense that the boots would touch the lower control arms at certain arm angles under the right driving conditions. This is really a result of the fact that the spacers cause your suspension to operate in a "zone" that the components were really not designed for. Same thing with the knuckle/upper control arm hitting the spring. It's not an issue of the quality/design of the spacers or upper control arms (they're both good)...it's a limitation of the design of the suspension on the truck.

Stock explorers without spacers don't have either of these issues because the shock cannot ever extend far enough to put the suspension components in that "zone" where they start hitting/rubbing on other parts. By installing the 2.25" spacers, you are essentially making the shock able to extend 2.25" farther downward than it was supposed to be able to do. The BTF upper control arms really can't fix this...all they address/prevent is the stock type upper ball joints from coming apart under the accumulated stress.

Two things you can do to prevent the issues from happening. One would be to install a set of limit straps that let the front suspension only travel downward a limited amount before you have CV boots rubbing/springs getting hit. Unfortunately with the bigger spacers like yours, that doesn't allow for much downtravel at all before the limit straps stop it....doesn't allow for much suspension rebound going over big bumps. This is what a limit strap setup would look like: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=353043&highlight=limit+straps

The other thing (and really the better way to make this work long term) is to go with smaller spacers...I would suggest something like 1.5" front/1" rear. Should fix the CV issue. Yes, you'll still have the springs getting hit by the UCA/spindle as the suspension unloads, but the shocks will be able to extend further before it happens, so it's less likely. You can also install limit straps with the smaller spacers and lose less overall suspension downtravel than you would if you tried it with the spacers you currently have (this is what I did on my last truck).

Yes, the smaller spacers will make the truck sit lower...but that's what body lifts are for :)

Update: I replaced both C?V axles with aftermarkets from rockauto. When I replaced I initially started grinding down that section of the bottom A-Arm. but then i realized the boots on the joint were smaller than stock boots. So I only grinded down one side....

I shortened the sway bar links by 1 inch.

Rides OK. the bump steer is horrendous! Still a Drone/vibration at highway speeds. Thinking the driveshaft for some reason....

Update: I replaced both C?V axles with aftermarkets from rockauto. When I replaced I initially started grinding down that section of the bottom A-Arm. but then i realized the boots on the joint were smaller than stock boots. So I only grinded down one side....

I shortened the sway bar links by 1 inch.

Rides OK. the bump steer is horrendous! Still a Drone/vibration at highway speeds. Thinking the driveshaft for some reason....

I don't have any bump steer issues on mine with the BTF UCA's + 2.25" spacers.

Back