• Register Today It's free!

swaybar bushings

ToughCountry

Reaction score
City, State
Hopewell Junction NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Explorer Sport
Im lookin to get the X-SPec front and rear sway bars from EE when i can save a few bucks...it seems to go quick...Do i need all new bushings, or do they help

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well i just put the kit on my 2000, which only came with the rear sway bar but it did come with the bushings

I put the rear swaybar and bushings...and front endlinks and bushings on my 01 Ex Sport as well. Very nice package...the front bushings are greasable with fittings...

Jordan23

ttt! I've got a bit of a dilemma regarding the front sway bar diameter. went to replace the bushings I got at pepboys yesterday but they were too small (I got the 1-1/8" and could tell they should be too small by looking at the bar)... cenrtal4WD.com said 36mm (thats frickin huge!), the forums here said 1-5/16" (32mm) to 1-3/8" (33mm) for a '99 which should be the same diameter as the 97 I assume... Summit Racing says 1-1/8" for the front bushings (which is wrong again, I do believe). Can i get some info on the exact size bushing to order (part # would be great), as pepboys said the 1-3/8" bushing (PN 9.5167) I think I need, or anything larger, is not available to them (dummies :D) I need to order these ASAP, as my sway bar is swaying, alright... about an inch from side to side!... TY
~stu

Explorer Express has the correct size.

yeah, uh, first EE said the front sway bar was 1.375" (thats 1-3/8", or 35mm), then they said the front sway bushings was PN# ES45152... which relates to a 16mm bushing.. thats not right either. WAY off, in fact. so back to the drawing boards: anyone got the correct diameter of a '97 front sway bar, puhleeeaze? TY
~stu

I just measured the swaybar I have laying around. It's somwhere between 35-37mm, had a bunch of **** sitting on top, hehe.

You should have the same bar. There's a chance you have a 98+ bar if your's is a late model 98. Although I think they're the same diameter.

its a '97 and i dont know production date, but i dont think its a '98 bar b/c it sounds/feels kinda hollow to a thump and the '98+ were solid throughout and I beleive 34mm was the accurate diameter on the '98, which was supposed to be the biggest bar. thanks for the measurements. I'm gonna take a guess, I guess, and go with the 35mm's to leave some room for grease and just tighten the hell out of it- hope this works, thanks etc.
~stu

The 97 bar is supposed to be the same diameter, 34mm. My measurements of my 98 showed about 34-35mm, with a dial indicator. The ES kit calls it a 34mm bar, I'd bet on that being right. Good luck,

thanks- i guess i'll order the 34mm instead of the 35 although I doubt it will matter much by 1mm. The tighter fit on the brackets the better, right?
~stu

Back