• Register Today It's free!

swaying

texplor93

Reaction score
City, State
sacramento,ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93XLT
ok i have a question, about a month ago i put on a 5.5 superlift, the swaying was ok, but i just had the ball joints replaced and the wheel bearing and now it seems like it sways more, all my sway bars are hooked up but i have no idea what it is

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you took it to a shop for the ball joints I would take it back to the shop and let them know. If nothing is loose. I would check your shocks which I'm pretty sure a new and maybe check your sway bar bushings and the other front end bushings. It might help if you change out all the bushings with the energy performance bushings.

It might also be time for stiffer shocks, maybe adjustable ones. Even though your shocks may be new, they might not be stiff enough to compensate for the higher c.o.g.

Not the shocks, take it back to the shop, sounds like the caster is off...When the replaced the bal joints, it would have needed to be reset. I knock mine off every now and then, even with good shocks and Poly bushings, if the caster is off, I get a funny sway. It is not an all the time thing, usually right after turning, hitting a large bump, or heavy throttle..Truck shimmeys alittle.

yeah thats exactly when it sways, i got it aligned already but should i take it back and have them align it better, i just got some 33" bfg at ko's and now the swaying is gone but i dont want my alignment to mess up tire wear, maybe i should take it back and have them look at it

Most shops do not consider alignment (toein/toeout) the same thing as Caster/camber. The way I understand it, the CASTER will not have any effect on tire wear, but CAMBER does..I would have it checked. Just tell the guy at the shop you need the Caster/Camber checked because you just had the balljoints replaced. I wish I could remember where I saw it, but I read an article that compared CASTER to the front wheels on a shopping cart...It is the center line and front/rear angle of the axle...If it was to POSITIVE, it would try to whip around, to negative and it would shake..Made alot of sense at the time.
Good Luck

How do you get the old bushings out I am having a hell of a time:mad:

Back