Swiss Cheese | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Swiss Cheese

Not very practical for a non 1/4 mile race car.

My comment was about a street car and on such a vehicle, the intake air temp will be no lower than ambient.

Not to say that your wrong Al, but I have experimented extensively with my grand prix (I know its apples to oranges but the physics are similar) and have found that it takes longer for an open intake to reach close to ambient when pulling away from a stop light. With a FWI (Fender Well Intake) I was within a couple degrees of ambient temp even during a prolonged idle. I aided this by heat wraping the intake tube. It was much cooler compaired to the stock box which was already a CAI. The result was better throttle response from a stop. Granted, extended freeway speeds have minimal temperature differences but it was still there anyway (0 to 1 degree over ambient vs. 5-7 degrees on average).

I think the Volant is a no brainer.

Just my .02 :p

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

smiley1 said:
Granted, extended freeway speeds have minimal temperature differences but it was still there anyway (0 to 1 degree over ambient vs. 5-7 degrees on average).

Are you saying that with an intake sucj as a Mac the temperature difference ( at highway speeds ) between ambient and IAT is 5-7 F?

aldive said:
Are you saying that with an intake sucj as a Mac the temperature difference ( at highway speeds ) between ambient and IAT is 5-7 F?

No. This is with my grand prix. An open filter in the engine compartment will pull in slightly higher than ambient temps vs. a closed and insulated CAI even on the freeway from my scans. The temp difference at freeway speeds are negligible. The real gains with an insulated CAI are found with normal city driving.

aldive said:
And what exactly are these "gains"?

More power and better throttle response due to immediate cooler denser air. Hot air is thinner and yields less power. That’s one of the reasons why you see better ¼ times in cooler temps as opposed to hotter.

BUT, for an MPG standpoint, you are better off with warmer air. You get a cleaner burn with a warmer air charge vs. a cold air charge richened up with fuel by the ECM. All bets are off when you are talking about extreme temps, though. It all depends on what you are trying to accomplish.

so if i had a mac or a knn would i have to clean it after every time i went mudding. im sure that it would get coated with mud (everything else in the engine bay does). and a volant with a closed air box would mainly eliminate this problem. or would mud on the filter even be a big deal. thanks this mod is still ways away, i might try my hand at this swiss cheese thing :)

Back