Swiss Cheese

Lazzman

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Massachusetts
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Sport 4wd- V6 Sohc
Today I made swiss cheese out of my factory Ford air filter box. It was a real messy job, plastic everywhere. I also pulled out the plastic horn part.

What was the result you ask. My engine blew up.....

Just kidding, throttle response is greatly improved. Stabbing the gas a bit from a dead stop will snap your neck back- note I am running 4.10's out back but that throttle response was not there before. When cruising performance seems increased and when you put the peddle past half way you get a loud air sucking sound like a four barrel carberator. Wide open throttle seems to be about the same if not a bit better. The whole mod took me about 1 hour and I did end up breaking the plastic mounting rods which I glued back with Krazy glue. I am running a K&N filter Charger air filter.

I would have gotten an aftermarket deal but I am flat broke. My exhaust seems to be rusting out so I will have to fix that pretty soon. I have a great exhaust shop down the road that does killer custom work, though I think I am just going to do 2.5" aluminum back with an angle cut like stock. I am looking into getting a muffler that is free flow but not super loud, maybe Flow Master or Magnaflow.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

post pictures... there are tons of writeups on this.... its quite common here..... pictures though, and it will stick in peoples minds, and they will look you up next time some new member asks about the mod

Though this mod seems to have given me better initial throttle response at a stand still, on more open throttle and at speed it seems to bog or should I say it is bogging and I don't know why?? Was thinking maybe hot air from the engine?? Funny thing though the gas milage did get significantly better- just can't seem to figure out why the bog.

Thought possibly the fuel ratio isn't high enough for the added air- Oh well the Volant is coming soon. :D

Lazzman said:
Though this mod seems to have given me better initial throttle response at a stand still, on more open throttle and at speed it seems to bog or should I say it is bogging and I don't know why?? Was thinking maybe hot air from the engine?? Funny thing though the gas milage did get significantly better- just can't seem to figure out why the bog.

Thought possibly the fuel ratio isn't high enough for the added air- Oh well the Volant is coming soon. :D

Try unplugging your battery to let the computer reset and relearn the new setup.

Any added holes that are drilled or widened should be in the direction of the fender and headlight where COLD air is obtained. I cut a hole in the inside fender sheet metal and connected a 3" ABS tube to pull cold air from outside the engine compartment. Likewise I widened the hole behind the headlight and used the ABS there as well.

Hot air robs power.

Thanks for the advice, I did unplug the battery and reset the computer to no avail. Maybe the small K&N flat filter cannot flow the air fast enough due to the increased CFM volume? Maybe the mass air sensor is not telling the computer to inject more fuel. Rather than bogging it could be running lean??

Good idea with the headlight, all the guys at the track are removing the light bezzle and headlight in front of the air box. I think this was first done on the 87' Buick Grand Nationals....

Smiley you have created Ram Air- Where do you buy 3" ABS tube?

Thanks- :thumbsup:

Lazzman said:
Thanks for the advice, I did unplug the battery and reset the computer to no avail. Maybe the small K&N flat filter cannot flow the air fast enough due to the increased CFM volume? Maybe the mass air sensor is not telling the computer to inject more fuel. Rather than bogging it could be running lean??

Good idea with the headlight, all the guys at the track are removing the light bezzle and headlight in front of the air box. I think this was first done on the 87' Buick Grand Nationals....

Smiley you have created Ram Air- Where do you buy 3" ABS tube?

Thanks- :thumbsup:

Lazzman,

I have a flat panel K&N as well but do not have that problem. Your MAF can get a thin coat of the air filter oil on it which will cause some problems. Think about cleaning it soon if it has never been cleaned.

The battery needs to be disconnected for about thirty minutes or so. But Im sure you knew that...

You can get the ABS tubing at Home Depot or any hardware store. Its black sewer/drainage plastic.

I think you have something else going on here not related to the modification if you have followed all of these steps (with the exception of the hot air intake).

Good luck!

Its strange Smiley, the truck has much more noticable umph from stand still to about 1/3 pedal then down to 1/2 and past it just seems rev slower. One thing I did do when I pulled the K&N was to lube it with a left over filter oil for a foam filter, wonder if this made a difference. Perhaps it was not compatible.

The problem was definately not there before I did the mod. So weird because its so responsive at light pedal, then just slows down at half pedal and beyond when you can hear the air start to be sucked in like an old four barrel carb.

I guess I will clean the fliter with the correct K&N kit and the mass air sensor. will let you know.

One thing I did do when I pulled the K&N was to lube it with a left over filter oil for a foam filter, wonder if this made a difference.

There is your problem. Either there is too much oil on the filter causing a restriction and/or the oil migrated to the MAF and it now needs to be cleaned.

Let us know when you get this figured out.

Yes, I ran out of the K&N oil so I used some stuff I had hanging around that was for foam filters, knew I might be making a bad but I did it anyway.

How do you clean a MAF??

Take the MAF out and get a Q tip with some alcohol and CAREFULLY clean the two hot wires inside the air sampling tube.

Dont chance touching the MAF wires with anything. Go to radio shack and get some electronics cleaner and spray a direct stream onto the wires.

spray it on but don't wipe it off??

Be carefull with the MAF. If you damage it, there is no fixing. Definately do a proper K&N cleaning. If you don't have the right oil just try it out without it. This way you definately know its not the foam oil causing issues. But definately oil it after.

Good Luck :thumbsup:

Just got my K&N flat filter ( Thanks Anrev ). Will definately reset computer, then let truck idle for at least 15 minutes and then drive it a bit. I am thinking of putting some strategic holes in the aribox and route it to fender. I want to keep it as stock looking as possible, so the damn Ford Service guys don't find that as an escape goat to explain problem they can't fix.

I took a dremel and cut out the entire front and fender side of my airbox and dropped in a K&N Filter. I've been running almost 2 years like that with no problems at all. I'll probably be changing to an ASMI system soon though.

Washed and re-oiled the K&N, plugged some holes in the back of the air box and side that might have been letting in warm engine air. Cleaned the MAF and connections, disconnected battery for about 1hr. Seems to be better than it was.

Definately better than what I originaly started out with- a Tornado and K&N air filter. I have plans to get the Volant #19640 it can be had for $235 delivered if you shop around. I think I will put that in and be done with it, soon as my check clears.

Glad its working better for ya. :)

witchdoctor said:
I took a dremel and cut out the entire front and fender side of my airbox and dropped in a K&N Filter. I've been running almost 2 years like that with no problems at all. I'll probably be changing to an ASMI system soon though.
Exactly what I did, when around the perimeter with a cut off wheel and pulled the plastic out by the head light, growls pretty good now, lil loud at times but I deal just fine :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Test drove her for a good while the other day and the problem still seems to be there. I must explain it is not a total bog, perhaps one would note even notice it, but to the keen eye it is present. The main problem is that the revs just don't seem to build fast enough, it will climb to 3000rpm and then just stay there for at least 10 seconds- I would say this is around 2/3 throttle.

It is frustrating to me because I just keep waiting for the power to build and it happens so slowww. When I re-did the job on Friday I did everything but clean the MAF sensors, I did not have the electric parts cleaner. I guess that will be my next step and then the Volant.

It has been pretty warm up here in Massachusetts, around 85-95 f with high humidity, which may have something to do with it, though I did not notice this in the past. It was about 60 f the other night with cold dense air and the truck really flew, but still it was not a strong pull through the gears, just a steady pull till the revs climmed ever so slowly. I can best describe it as starting a 5 speed standard out in 3rd gear, slow going till the revs build- but it takes oh so long.

I did oil the K&N from the top wich is a no no, I am a dumb ass and should have read the instructions. This could have easily coated the sensors in the MAF.

Will keep all informed.

Back