Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Russell, Ontario (Ottawa area)
Year, Model & Trim Level
2023 Aviator Reserve 201A
Callsign
VE3
I just received an email about the 2017 Escape. Not only will it have Sync 3 but it will be the first Ford vehicle with SYNC® Connect which allows owners to communicate with the vehicle through an app on their phone to remotely lock or unlock the Escape, start the engine and even check the fuel level.
I wonder how long it will be before the Explorer gets that feature?

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Being discussed under the SYNC 3 topic

Don't we have this capability already via one of the Ford apps?

Any one know for sure if sync connect will be available in the 2017 Explorer........

Any one know for sure if sync connect will be available in the 2017 Explorer........
As indicated, your thread was moved to this existing one found using the 'Search' function.

Peter

Just took delivery of a 17 Fusion Titanium AWD with Sync 3 and Sync Connect. Some of you will geek out on it, but I'm a bit underwhelmed. The GUI is plain looking... mobile apps... meh. Installed the Ford Pass app on an Android phone... Remote start, fuel status, door lock / unlock somewhat cool. Just comes off as a gimmick. Not sure how I feel about the data collection and the fact that the car has a built in cell modem. I guess one benefit is that if the car ever gets stolen I can track it with the app.
The car itself is fantastic and can't say enough good things about it. Perfect complement to the 16 Platinum.

Is there a cost? Who is the carrier?
No initial separate cost but I'm sure it's baked into the cost of the car. I don't know who the carrier is. Based on the time I've spent with it so far, the modem is for background communication w/ Ford and apps that may need to access it. There's no indication from the GUI that it can be used to replace your cell phone. I guess it al depends on what Ford wants to do with it in the future.

Hi everyone

I've been waiting for the '17 Explorer and Sync 3, but looks like Sync Connect won't be included probably until the '18s.

Anyone know if it's possible to add Sync Connect to a '17 in the future when it's available at the dealer?

Thanks!

The 17 explorers should have the connect. Hopefully those with the 17's at home can confirm.

The 17 explorers should have the connect. Hopefully those with the 17's at home can confirm.

According to Ford....... They don't......

Dfred, you are right and im wrong. Bummer. I hope this can be added to the 17's with an update to sync3.

Dfred, you are right and im wrong. Bummer. I hope this can be added to the 17's with an update to sync3.

I wish it could too.... But it's going to take hardware as well as software......

It is VIN based on Ford's end so it won't work unless it came from the factory with it. The controls won't be there in the app.

So another way for hackers to gain entry, maybe even steal the vehicle? Hopefully it will also flash the headlights so they don't have to do all that walking around trying to find out which vehicle they just unlocked. ;)

I have my 17 platinum and the sync connect is not included. I hope there is a way to add the required modem in order to use the app fully

I have my 17 platinum and the sync connect is not included. I hope there is a way to add the required modem in order to use the app fully
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Based on Jason's (jmr061) post above, it doesn't look like it can be added.

Peter

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Based on Jason's (jmr061) post above, it doesn't look like it can be added.

Peter
As far as I can tell all that's needed is the embedded modem and I assume software updates. I'm guessing the sync3 hardware has the required port/interface to accommodate the modem. That's just my opinion

Ford's equipment is rarely "just works," assuredly you would need to figure out what, in essence, switches to flip in the hardware. Then on the other side, I'm sure Ford keeps a database of what VINs include what features, and that list would prevent Sync Connect from working, too.

None of this stuff is particularly hard, but rarely do they permit such "after" modifications. I would love to be wrong, though.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm not looking for an after market solution, (although if one works.....)
I am hoping that Ford will offer it as a dealer installed option that can be purchased.

Other than the missing sync connect, I am loving my explorer.

Before this I had Edge Sports a 2013 then 2014.

Back