Sync 3 keeps resetting iPhone ringer volume | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Sync 3 keeps resetting iPhone ringer volume

If this isn't the general Sync 3/Apple Carplay thread, please feel free to move. I have trouble getting a proper synchronization between my phone and the car on a regular basis. Admittedly, I have a lot of variables that may be causing this, or my experience is normal in that almost half the time I have trouble with Spotify connecting, or the phone won't connect OR charge, in any port, and then won't reconnect until the vehicle has been shut off and turned back on. Last night even my phone was acting strange - the screen would not lock manually, even after 30 seconds or whenever I have it set. Here are my variables:

1. Old phone (iPhone 6)
2. My phone is connected to home wifi and has to reconnect to car wifi on startup (both networks still in range)
3. I have my phone set to connect even when locked (thought this was a solution but maybe it's a problem - let phone connect once out of home wifi range?)

Anyone experiencing or fix the same issues? I don't hate my phone but if I could switch to an 8 or X I'd happily do it to improve my carplay experience.

FYI Apple shortcuts is pretty cool for controlling siri in carplay.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Been following this thread for a while as well. My 2018 Lincoln is doing the same. The ringer volume with buttons change is not very helpful since it disables a convenient feature on the phone.
FWIW, the iPhone Sync 2 issue I had for years with my older Lincoln never was fixed. Dropped phone calls from Bluetooth and reattached constantly. Never could get Ford or Apple to own up or acknowledge this.

Welcome to the Forum Nate.:wave:

Peter

Been following this thread for a while as well. My 2018 Lincoln is doing the same. The ringer volume with buttons change is not very helpful since it disables a convenient feature on the phone.
FWIW, the iPhone Sync 2 issue I had for years with my older Lincoln never was fixed. Dropped phone calls from Bluetooth and reattached constantly. Never could get Ford or Apple to own up or acknowledge this.

Get a dealer to update you to the latest software. It's been addressed on the SYNC side.

Just a FYI.

For me after I updated my iPhone to iOS 13.3.1, my ringer volume does not go back to normal after I leave my Explorer.

It did with iOS 13.3.

Anyone else notice this?

Just a FYI.

For me after I updated my iPhone to iOS 13.3.1, my ringer volume does not go back to normal after I leave my Explorer.

It did with iOS 13.3.

Anyone else notice this?
Yes. I thought I hit the volume button on my phone accidentally. Didn’t even think about the cause until you posted this.

I think now we have to wait for the next iOS update.

Pretty sure this is fixed for me on 3.4 20021. I don't have the loud ringer volume after I get out of my Explorer.

Pretty sure this is fixed for me on 3.4 20021. I don't have the loud ringer volume after I get out of my Explorer.
A new SYNC 3 is out? Latest build I have is 19025. I’m not so sure it’s a SYNC 3/iOS issue. I’ve seen my phone just increase Ringer volume when I click on a notification. And my ringer volume isn’t always maxed out after driving like it used to be before they fixed it.

A new SYNC 3 is out? Latest build I have is 19025. I’m not so sure it’s a SYNC 3/iOS issue. I’ve seen my phone just increase Ringer volume when I click on a notification. And my ringer volume isn’t always maxed out after driving like it used to be before they fixed it.

Yes there is...if you want to.

Sync V3.0 to V3.4 Upgrade

A new SYNC 3 is out? Latest build I have is 19025............
The update is shown above but as far as I know, it has not been officially released for the Explorer.

Peter

I may have spoken too soon. I used Siri via bluetooth yesterday to send a text. Now the ringer stays loud when I exit the car. This was the first time I used voice commands since I updated to 3.4 20021.

I noticed an error as well, @UofMEngineer, when the text is sent via Siri, I get an error message in the right IPC screen that says "Name and number not available" and a time of 2:03, and the screen is yellow. When my phone goes to sleep, that message goes away.

Maybe I'll try to get a pic in my driveway.

I may have spoken too soon. I used Siri via bluetooth yesterday to send a text. Now the ringer stays loud when I exit the car. This was the first time I used voice commands since I updated to 3.4 20021.

I noticed an error as well, @UofMEngineer, when the text is sent via Siri, I get an error message in the right IPC screen that says "Name and number not available" and a time of 2:03, and the screen is yellow. When my phone goes to sleep, that message goes away.

Maybe I'll try to get a pic in my driveway.

Probably an Apple issue if it suddenly showed up. The last ringer volume thing required a SYNC side update, but I want to say it was an Apple change that caused it. Could be wrong though, going off memory. The IPC thing is "normal" for Siri as it uses the Bluetooth connection and it'll appear to the system like a phone call. I haven't tried it lately with a USB connection though.

I tried to take a pic of the error message but I couldn't. It went away as I opened my phone.

I did it wirelessly, via bluetooth.

I did not use CarPlay or a USB cable.

This thread at another forum states that updating to build 19205 AS fixed the issue for them. I am going to look into it. FWIW this issue occurs with 2 different iPhones in both a 2020 Explorer and a 2018 Audi A4. Super annoying.

This thread at another forum states that updating to build 19205 AS fixed the issue for them. I am going to look into it. FWIW this issue occurs with 2 different iPhones in both a 2020 Explorer and a 2018 Audi A4. Super annoying.

That must be for SYNC 3.3, not 3.4.

It is still an issue for me.

That must be for SYNC 3.3, not 3.4.

It is still an issue for me.

Bah, frick. I didn't look at the version before I wrote that reply and you're right - we are on 3.4 (automatic updates) and the issue is definitely here. Are you working with Ford on a resolution? It's unclear to me which things will update over the air and which things a dealer needs to take care of...

I don’t believe the latest round of the ringer increasing is a SYNC issue. I’ve been through the ringer blasting me out in 2 different vehicles caused by SYNC for a few years. Now with the stay at home I get the ringer volume at full blast and I’ve not been in my car for a couple days. I’ve noticed when doing different things on my iPhone the ringer volume display will show up. Sometimes at full volume.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Bah, frick. I didn't look at the version before I wrote that reply and you're right - we are on 3.4 (automatic updates) and the issue is definitely here. Are you working with Ford on a resolution? It's unclear to me which things will update over the air and which things a dealer needs to take care of...

I am not. I have SYNC 3.4 20021 in a 2018...

It is aggravating though.

Back