• Register Today It's free!

T-Case Motor

eric4welches

Reaction score
City, State
OR
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 XLT
I too have been dealing with a 4x4 issue on my '92 XLT. Buttons on dash don't work. After reading through the 4x4 Troubleshooting guide, I decided to give it a go and try to "fix" the shift motor. I was able to remove the motor without too much trouble. I ran into the "brown wire" issue. I know how to get passed that but... I could not figure out how to pull the big gear. So I ask...

"How do you remove the big gear from the gear housing" ?

Thanks in advance!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Once the gear is exposed, a few soft whacks with a mallet should extract it. First make sure the tiny circlip on the gear shaft/spindle is removed, if present.

Arco777 - Thanks for the reply.
If the circlip exists, would it be on the on the side of the gear that engages with the shifter on the transfer case?

Thanks

It would be holding the gear down into the housing, accessible once you remove the dust cover. I usually just use a small pliers or pair of screwdrivers to pop it off, then a pliers to clip it back on later. Many Ford power window motors have this circlip as well.

I too have been dealing with a 4x4 issue on my '92 XLT. Buttons on dash don't work. After reading through the 4x4 Troubleshooting guide, I decided to give it a go and try to "fix" the shift motor. I was able to remove the motor without too much trouble. I ran into the "brown wire" issue. I know how to get passed that but... I could not figure out how to pull the big gear. So I ask...

"How do you remove the big gear from the gear housing" ?

Thanks in advance!

Hi, did fixing the motor resolve this issue.

I'm having what sounds like the same issue:

- When I press the 4x4 high button I can hear the relays clicking, but no lights on switch.

- I've tested the 4x4 module and it passed.

- The LED on the 4x4 switch works.

- So I'm fairly certain a T Case motor rebuild/replacement should fix it.

Any thoughts anyone else?

Back