• Register Today It's free!

T-case swap

ford rules

Reaction score
City, State
Pinckney MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 Ranger
Right now I have the BW 1354 electric shift and was wondering if i were to do a manual shift t-case swap would i have to get new driveshafts or would everything be a direct swap? I know i have to cut a hole in the floor and dont mind I have also heard that for the shift linkage you have to tap the holes on the side of the trans is this true? I know i asked a lot but any info would be greatly appreciated.:help:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Unfortunately, that How-to is for a V8 and won't work on a stock 4 or 6-cylinder Ranger.

Right now I have the BW 1354 electric shift and was wondering if i were to do a manual shift t-case swap would i have to get new driveshafts or would everything be a direct swap? I know i have to cut a hole in the floor and dont mind I have also heard that for the shift linkage you have to tap the holes on the side of the trans is this true? I know i asked a lot but any info would be greatly appreciated.:help:
The BW1354 manual t-case will directly replace the 1354 electronic case. There was some variation in the front output flange over the years, so you might have to swap the parts from your case. Or you might get lucky and have it bolt right up. Your original driveshafts can then be reused without modification. Or you might be able to use the front driveshaft from the donor if the flanges don't match.

The trans tunnel has a cover plate that can be modified or you can simply bolt in a manual t-case cover plate.

You'll need to check the transmission extension housing to see if the bosses are there for the linkage and that they are already tapped. This varies from year to year and transmission to transmission. If the bosses are not there, you will need to swap in the correct extension housing that has them.

2003_manual_ext_housing_sm.jpg

IMO, the best bet would be to find a 95+ junkyard donor that has everything - case, linkage, shifter, boot, cover plate and ext housing (if needed).

Also, be sure to check the manual transfer case for a compatible speedometer drive. IIRC, 95~97 4x4 Rangers/Explorers drive the electronic speedometer from a signal generator on the t-case.

94 and earlier used a mechanical speedo and cable but it might be adaptable - take a close look to see if the signal generator will plug in.

98+ Rangers take the speedometer drive from other places, so t-cases from later years probably won't have the drive gears in the t-case. My 2003 1354 manual didn't.

Back